Hello!

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ocelot

Hello!

Post by ocelot »

Hello to Lady Ada,

I was looking for something like this - and thinking of making one. Google landed me here and I really like the place.

I'm impressed by the various gadgets on the LadyAda and AdaFruit sites.

I'm thinking about the SpokePOV, but ... I'm a PIC guy and I've never used the processor that you are using. It would be cool if I could convert the PCB to use a PIC - something like an 18F2620 - which has gobs of flash onboard (64KB) and would not need the EEPROM. But, it's 28 pins.... so I'd have to do some serious (for me, since I'm really a software guy) hack to the board - and of course I'd have to write all the firmware anew (but having seen the concept, that's no problem).

I had in mind also, that if I could get a bluetooth serial radio on this thing, I could drive it in interesting ways - and even link multiple wheels on multiple bikes to one controller on a PDA in somebody's pocket to do some fun things. Well, anyway, you've got me thinking.

What I admire about this kit - is that you've kept the cost down. LOL - which with the radio link etc. would start to jump up in a serious way.

So, I think that as it is, the SpokePOV is really nicely done.

Still, I'm thinking... of variations on the theme.

-ocelot

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yup you are free to do whatever you want with the design including 'porting it'

ocelot

Thanks

Post by ocelot »

Thanks for your reply.

I've just ordered a 3-spoke kit.

Thinking about POV (and reading a bit too), I came to the conclusion that more advanced animation may not work very well at speeds that I'm likely to be going on a bike.

The way I calculate it, at the 7mph you quote for "total persistance", on a 27" wheel, there would still be 1/4 sec between refreshes of a particular pixel - which is a much lower refresh rate than the 1/16th sec that is often quoted as the minimum frame rate for films to be sort-of flicker-free.

So, I'd better build your kit and try it out before I get carried away with dreams of fancy animations.

Even for a static image, it's cool.

(I like blinky things. It's a harmless personal attribute.)

-Ocelot

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”