My SpokePOVs have "lost" two banks :-(

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
surfsmurf

My SpokePOVs have "lost" two banks :-(

Post by surfsmurf »

This is what I did:
Imported one image per bank, adjusted them, wrote them & verified them. Now when I start the SpokePOV app it says that I only have two banks! Any ideas where the last two have gone? If it matters I used the windows version, with 32 frames before switching and Mirror on. I tried the same on my second one with the same result, but won't test with my third one...

:cry:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yow. sounds like a software bug. ill look into it...
the software 'detects' the banks by writing and reading the first address and seeing what happens..
try putting some different stuff into the 2 banks you do have. especially stuff at "12 oclock"

surfsmurf

Post by surfsmurf »

Yup, writing all empty images to the available banks, disconnecting & connecting gives me back all four banks.

n8b

Help Lost 2 Banks

Post by n8b »

I tried writing empty images to the two banks, disconnected and reconnected and it still only shows two banks.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

try writing 'random' stuff?
it could be the chip died...luckily EEPROM chips are like $0.80 from mouser or digikey :)

n8b

Post by n8b »

Yeah, I tried random stuff. At first it wouldn't take, but then I disconnected it for a while to test it. After that I connected it backup and all four banks show up now. Strange...

Thanks,
Nate

kayrock66

Post by kayrock66 »

I'm getting this problem also. Seems to be connected with mostly full wheel graphics. Connected with particular image patterns. For example, my flag graphics cause the problem. But I was able to get all 4 banks back by writing an empty image. Have done this back and forth many times.

But now with the image of the parrot rockin' the microphone, I'm stuck. Erasing banks 1 and 2 still doesn't bring back 3 and 4. Can you take a look at this Ladyada in your PC program?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

bank detection happens by writing to the first location of the first row of each bank. i dont know if im going to be able to fix this bug soon because im really booked this week so just make sure the first location is empty?

kayrock66

Post by kayrock66 »

I've been poking around with my logic analyzer and while I don't completely understand how the memory discovery works, it looks like as a side effect of a bug has some a strange behavior.

If the first byte of the EEPROM (0x0000) happens to be the same as the 1's compliment of the first byte in bank 3 (0x0800) then the PC client thinks that the SpokePOV only has 2 image banks.

When the client is working right, will it detect larger EEPROMs and show more banks in the user interface? How many will it support? I see it scanning up to address 0x4000.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

it can detect up to 32 banks, i think

kayrock66

Post by kayrock66 »

I installed a 256kb device, PC client hung. Modified uC firmware to mask MSB of EEPROM address, PC client shows (properly) 16 banks.

Write some images to the first 6 banks, PC client later shows only 8 banks. So it seems the same bug that causes the PC client to incorrectly show 2 of 4 banks depending on image content, later shows 8 of 16 banks depending on image content.

DVmaker

Post by DVmaker »

I'm having the same problem... now what do you do to make it work with 4+ banks? I can only currently see 2... when i could see 4 earlier.

I'm on the latest (1.4) PPC version of the software.

kayrock66

Post by kayrock66 »

This has been an ongoing issue. It's image content related so it doesn't hit everyone. Because of the hobby nature of the product I think Lady Ada is just letting this problem ride.

You can undo the problem by changing the data in the banks you can still access. Can't be more specific than that.
Last edited by kayrock66 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DVmaker

Post by DVmaker »

OK, cool. can someone send me a dat file that seems to prove effective? I've cleared the available banks, disconnected then reconnected to no avail.

Is there any other software that would allow me to directly access the database? ... Perhaps there's a way to manually zero out the problem data.

my e-mail is ajmcrazy(at)gmail(doooot)com

kayrock66

Post by kayrock66 »

Try writting them to all LEDs on, see if that clears it up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”