Where are all the Laser people?

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dmoore

Where are all the Laser people?

Post by dmoore »

Come on folks, I can't be the only one in the US.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

jeez i just started the forum a week ago...it takes a bit of time for people to comment on stuff! :)

olongcha

Anyone in the San Francisco area?

Post by olongcha »

:D

LaserGregg

New to this site

Post by LaserGregg »

I'm a Laser person. www.opticaletching.com
Ask away...... I'm still going after three years.
Gregg

LaserGregg

The Only 1 here????

Post by LaserGregg »

I'm the only one here..... no way dude.... maybe west coast.
That is so cool..... East Coast Here.
I'm checking out your site.

LBurger71

Hello from PA

Post by LBurger71 »

I have been considering buying a laser for about 3 1/2 years. I am finally making the plunge. I am possibly going with an Epilog Laser. I have been looking at others also, but Epilog is within three hours of me and I can go and observe a demonstration....blah blah blah.

I saw the laptop and Ipod etchings and I think they are an awsome idea!!! I will be totally new to this lasering so I am hoping to hook up with some friends on here to help me along and I am more than willing to do the same!!

I am quitting my job of over 16 years to do this. I cannot work 12 hour swing any longer. I am only 36 and feel much older......I want to do something fun and interesting and I have found it! A laser!

Looking forward to talking with others on this site :)

Lisa

mobilexile

Post by mobilexile »

ladyada, LaserGregg & anyone else already running an etching biz:

How successful has your business been thus far?

How have you been promoting your services?

What markets have you been going after?

Excuse the questions. I'm an art director / graphic designer who has long wanted to have access to computer-generated laser etching. When I saw the Make story I fell out of my chair! I'm now considering starting up a l.e. company in the Twin Cities. Anyone else already doing it here?

Ladyada -- kudos and thanks (to you PT & the gang) for making this an open source business model. Also, loved your Hope 6 talk.

LaserGregg

Being here.

Post by LaserGregg »

I have outright owned an epilog now for three years. 75 watt.
I was you. 12 hour days are nothing on a laser..... especially with an order. My Sunday was spent cutting prototype parts for 13 hours straight.
There is so much hoop jumping to get in to places..... get ready.
It may take you 3 months to get comfortable with the whole process.
Most will not mention every pitfall you do not know about... yet.
like: maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs, setups, heavy usage... that will uncalibrate your machine. There is no help. Epilog is in Colorado.

mobilexile

Post by mobilexile »

LaserGreg:

Thx for the reply.

Can you tell me a little about the woes you've faced thus far?
Have you been able to do the trouble shooting yourself?
Do you see a viable business in laser etching?
Is calibrating the machine a difficult task?

Thx in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.

M

LaserGregg

shedding light, not heavy though.

Post by LaserGregg »

A favorite movie of mine is the fifth element. If you know the ending....
my versoin goes like this. A drill spins. A blade cuts, A press runs a die.
Lasers run on faith. its the only form of "stress-free" cutting.
There are these different systems to get an etch into a substrate.
the laser component of the tube and the RF exciter, mirrors, lens, focus, optical strips and a level table. any if of those go? your table arrives perfect. runs perfect. till it doesn't. you may be stuck unless you're an mechanical and electrical engineer. I'm lucky and just refused to quit.
I takes like 5 different things to make an etch correct???? no?
the Idea, the file, the product, the place it, the nuke it..... put a dollar on it now for your efforts. I decided was that I wasn't going to etch 100,000 pens to afford a 30K box. I go from raw materials here. not imprints.
I'm going for full table high res long table time deep etch art. 1-offs.
does anyone else? crickets I get. A dedicated use for your table will bring you $$$$... but you'll go nuts. If you are daring and trying things like me. I'm hungry and work without a net... and usually no rope. it can be really upsetting. I've never given any advice or help, but this is different.
p.s. get real grip on photoshop, illustrator and corel... you'll need it. photograve blows. My gig is not bound by my box. I go bigger.

mobilexile

Post by mobilexile »

Thx again the reply, LG.

Corel? Who uses that BANNED? Pshop and Ill are my primary tools for work so no issus there.

LaserGregg

Corel?....na na na na na be the ball.

Post by LaserGregg »

I'm trained in QTVR Capture/Authoring and QT Pro/Streaming/Authoring in Cupertino '98. I'm an iLifer. All mac here......... but,
I didn't say it to be glib because you will never gain a second owning or running/self teaching yourself from scratch a CADCAM laser device. You are the moth to the light. I'm the moth to the light. I was and still am... you. No Corel until Epilog Lasers. I (was a we) had bought it already. ask them about illustrator. why is it not mentioned? Old school PC here i'm old. their sales techniques are Pavlonian. All of 'em. I know and found out the hard way. Thats mine.... sorry. :P None of this is easy. take the advice..... I'm black and blue from these three years. and there is literally no one to talk to or to take you serioulsy about it... and no degree. you are just a part of a disposable puzzle with a laser. Laser people for the most part suck. They give up or etch pens. I haven't.I'm stubborn. You learn about added value thrown in the garbage... quickly. How do you pay off a 15K (or 40K) laserbox? I sweat it every waking moment.... to conceive it, sell it, design it, test it, then make it, finish it, then package it..... am I close yet? $20.00 per perfect shot? I want $200. on that same size area. 1 pass. befriend a laserbox to watch it fail first.... see it run high res on a full table size for three hours straight. burn something to beyond a recognition........ get your feet wet... I didn't for three months before I plunged in 2003/4. 90 days of research. not 1 clue but faith.... I'm still here.. but no riches or fame yet.

mobilexile

Post by mobilexile »

I'm beginning to question the wisdom of entering the fray. The more research I do the less confident I am about it being a viable biz -- as a vendor.

Like yourself I'm inclined to avoid the trinkets and trash route -- no pens or key chains with corporate logos on 'em for this kid. I have my sights set on creating some unique, high-end items with attractive designs. Thinking short runs to sell in specialty stores / museum stores rather than going the bulk middle America approach.

The question now becomes whether buying the etching equipment is smart or would I be better served by partnering someone like yourself to do the etch work.

Ever do business cards for people? Know of anyone who does? Thinking of having some done for myself. Would like 'em on aluminum / thin metal -- no color, natural metal appearance.

LaserGregg

beyond the box... design the thing...

Post by LaserGregg »

This is not to discourage you........ just no one will tell you the truth or help. If you are rich its a great hobby. I sweat it. Keep on learning. we need you. But be effective and move it forward... don't trace my steps. walk with me....learn more than me... I know less the more I know. I invented and sold 125 of an item by making a demo and showing it. $200.00 profit for 3 hours work on my time for people I like to make the effort for.
It makes you strong.... in fact stronger. I was there too.
A laser can do many things......Stereolithography
Laser Light Shows,Flow Cytometry,Dye Laser Pumping.Titanium:Sapphire Laser Pumping,Confocal Microscopy,Photocoagulation,Holography.Laser Display,Disc Mastering.Semiconductor Processing
Reprographics.Raman Spectroscopy,Laser Doppler Velocimetry
Flourescence.Optical Storage,Forensic Science.Cytoflourescence
Spectroscopy.Laser Disc / CD / BANNED Mastering
Direct Imaging.UV Resonance Raman Spectroscopy
Writing Gratings on Fibers,Interferometric Optics Testing
Capillary Electrophoresis,DFB Manufacturing
UV Photolithographic Processes
Microlithography
and we'll do what with it.....???????/ Doh? You'll always need help.
I can make your cards...... also I know how do 1200dpi in color any substrate, metal , plastics, glass, vinyl... thats not a laser.
I don't show the secret gigs. not fair to the clients...., but I Just did two nameplates for Ferrari . I have an EOM part number dedicated to me... and 50 other cool stories. Look for me on ESPN2 in May/June. I can't tell more. If you push you will get somewhere, then you have to deliver it.

LaserGregg

20 years Experience

Post by LaserGregg »

Print broker here..... will give no cost pro advice.
37 forms of print image to substrate.
thats what I did before this. I mac to win now.
My laser is my Strat and I'm feeling like Jimi Hendrix at Monterey.
But its more like Columbus at sea looking for land.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”