about the power of the 5mW laser

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rolando

about the power of the 5mW laser

Post by rolando »

I'm thinking on starting a new project, and I was wondering if the power of the 5mW laser is enough to leave a mark in a thermal paper... If not, anyone knows what would be the min power for a laser to leave a mark in a thermal paper?

What about wood? I'm not planning on making a CNC machine or anything like that... just want to draw a few things in thermal paper and maybe wood.

Thanks for any help :)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: about the power of the 5mW laser

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

These lasers are not powerful enough to cut or burn anything. If you have an old CD or D.V.D ROM burner lying around, the lasers in those can generate some heat.

rolando

Post by rolando »

Thanks! Yes, I've been looking around and a laser from a D.V.D-R might do the trick.

tcapps

Post by tcapps »

by tcapps » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 am

I need help putting together the right components.
I need line lasers that can be seen in broad daylight from a distance of 30 feet.
6 lasers will be mounted at slightly different angles on a mobile 12 volt machine to project 6 paralell lines on an object 16 feet away from laser, projected lines are approximately 2 feet apart and need to be clearly visable in broad daylight from 30 feet away.
Can someone please help to point me in the right direction to what I need to accomplish this.
Thank you,
Tim

frizz

Post by frizz »

I have read that green lasers will do the job for daytime visibility.

For example, firearms can be equipped with laser sights, and they are almost always red. A disadvantage of a red laser sight is limited visibility in sunlight. A green laser sight is a solution to this problem because they are clear even at noon on a clear, haze-free day. The green laser sights are much more expensive, but I think that may be due to fragility. Red lasers seem to be cheap and durable, but the green ones seem to be more expensive and much more fragile.

Two of the manufacturers, if I recall, are Crimson Trace and Lasermax.

HTH!

Frizz

Jeio

Post by Jeio »

Frizz wrote:I have read that green lasers will do the job for daytime visibility.

For example, firearms can be equipped with laser sights, and they are almost always red. A disadvantage of a red laser sight is limited visibility in sunlight. A green laser sight is a solution to this problem because they are clear even at noon on a clear, haze-free day. The green laser sights are much more expensive, but I think that may be due to fragility. Red lasers seem to be banned and durable, but the green ones seem to be more expensive and much more fragile.

Two of the manufacturers, if I recall, are Crimson Trace and Lasermax.

HTH!

Frizz
Hello Frizz,

Does Crimson Trace have an online store? Do you know if they ship to Canada?

frizz

Post by frizz »

Crimson Trace has an online store:
http://www.crimsontrace.com/

You are better off ordering from a vendor. Optics Planet is the one I use.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/

I have had good experiences with them, and I base this on over 20 orders with them for items ranging from laser sights to telescope eyepieces and accessories.

As for sending to Canada, I think you will run into trouble because of weapon export restrictions. I'm not even sure if laser sights are legal in Canada.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”