Warranty voided?

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
engravee

Warranty voided?

Post by engravee »

After much research and no ability to get a written statement from apple, it seems that its not clear if the apple warranty is voided after lasering.
I spoke with iPhone tech support, Apple Care & apple store reps, don't know if they are not scrutinizing the apple warranty policies but I continually get the response that etching will indeed void warranties...

We all know that the process is harmless to internals but in order to run this specialized type of business, it would be great to have a written statement from apple on the matter.

I'm sure we have all read the following Makezine article but its still not convincing apple tech support on the matter...

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/20 ... _gear.html

Almost all the laser etching business state on their websites that the process will not void warrantees but there is no clear evidence... I dont want to etch college students laptops only to cause them problems when they need servicing...

My question, how do we get a definitive answer from apple on this matter? (meaning in writing). Thanks guys!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

there is no good answer. apple engraves their goods so obviously its not a problem. but they'll never say its OK.
afaik stickers do not void the warranty so they can always just put a sticker over it
then again, i am of the opinion that if someone is freaked out about warranties, then they probably shouldnt be getting their stuff lasered anyways.

LaserGregg

apple

Post by LaserGregg »

If they could laser it they would.

TechTatts

Warranties

Post by TechTatts »

This is the text about what voids the warranty of my iPod Nano

"This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by use with non-Apple products; (b) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake or other external causes; (c) to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Apple, (d) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider ("AASP"); (e) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; or (f) if any Apple serial number has been removed or defaced."

So, I am making it my practice to never etch over a serial number.

Jen
http://www.zapyourcrap.com

Psymiley

Post by Psymiley »

Makes sense really.

Say your well used, well worn ipod video popped from a manufacture defect after 6 months.
Can they tell you that the warrentee is void because the case is worn and polished? Obviously they cant re-use the case for a refurb resale, so why should an etched case be seen any differently!

TechTatts

Post by TechTatts »

Since when has basic logic or common sense mattered to surly repair guys? :wink:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”