eTape readings depend on specific Arduino?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JLodge

Re: eTape readings depend on specific Arduino?

Post by JLodge »

In response to wylbur, although I have not personally tried the etape myself, you have my sympathy. I have heard countless stories about different sensors not working as well. These problems can be caused through a variety of reasons, one of such being something you discussed: water leaking into the electronics, or the actual system becoming damaged. One solution that you may want to consider is simply trying an alternative sensor. There are various types of sensors that you might want to try, depending on what your particular needs are. The most common sensors are float based - an example would be found inside your toilet. Other options would be resistive (like your etape) or capacitive. I even have heard of sensors that use laser technology, although I am not sure how that works. I am currently using this water level sensor: http://vegetronix.com/Products/AquaPlumb/

So far it seems to be fairly accurate and I haven't encountered any major problems.

Hope you found this informative and helpful!

zambre

Re: eTape readings depend on specific Arduino?

Post by zambre »

Hi,
I totally agree that etape sensor is a junk and not worth the money. I spent many days, I researched internet
and followed everybody's suggestions. At the end, i came to conclusion that it is not matured product and should not have been sold.
i hope smart engineers can experiment with etape and come up with workable solution. either software or building small
hardware to obtain stable and accurate data. The effect of temperature of liquid can also be a factor affecting accuracy,

i need to monitor water puddle on the roof to check gutter blockage, and i thought etape was a better option which could work in any weather
and all i wanted to measure was the water depth,

i hope and i wish there is a solution,

Sensor accuracy, and reliability seems like a common problem.
I think many customers will appreciate if smart engineers from Adafruit can work with manufacturer and come up with a combination of hardware and software solution.

thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”