USB MicroSD Card Reader (ID:939) - Issue with MacBook Air

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mchobby

USB MicroSD Card Reader (ID:939) - Issue with MacBook Air

Post by mchobby »

Did any one getting trouble to run the USB MicroSD Card Reader running on a MacBook Air?
I do not have any MacBook or Mac under the hand. Si it is difficult to provide helps.
Should the user install any kind of software? Or any trouble shooting tutorial for MacBook?

Kind regards,
Dominique

adafruit

Re: USB MicroSD Card Reader (ID:939) - Issue with MacBook Air

Post by adafruit »

It should work with all computers - make sure the card is a valid Mac-readable card!

mchobby

Post by mchobby »

With the Help of a customer (a developer), I did tested it on Mac Book Pro and did not work.
Simply nothing happened.

I did use the USB MicroSD Card Reader with the 4Go Dane-Elec MicroSD HC High Speed coming from AdaFruit Shop.
Will the Dane-Elec SD card not be Mac Readeable?

The same products, Card Reader + Dane-Elec card, have been tested on Ubunu (OK) and Win 7 (OK).

mchobby

Post by mchobby »

My previous message was perhaps not clear enough

Tested on "Mac Book Pro"
I did use the USB MicroSD Card Reader + 4Go Dane-Elec MicroSD HC High Speed (all coming from AdaFruit Shop).

*** THIS IS NOT RECOGNIZED ***
Nothing happened on the Mac.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we could try replacing the card reader - email support@adafruit with a link to this thread requesting a new #939 :mrgreen:

mchobby

Post by mchobby »

Thank for the proposal... I think that the product is not defect... but that we are facing a compatibility issue (see details of our test here under).

The card reader + Card is not working only on Mac Book Pro (tested at MCHobby) and Mac Book air (tested by customer). I have several items of those products... so I also tested the issue with other #939.
If I unplug it from the Mac (where not recognized) to plug it into Windows 7 OR Ubuntu... it works like a charm.

I'm clearly thinking about product compatibility.
If there is a compatibility issue with Mac, I will modify my product sheet to mention it.

Could you test that combination of AdaFruit products with on some Mac Book?

Having a confirmation of real compatibility issue (or not) would be an interesting information for our reselling activities.
Thank
Dominique

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Thats unusual because it certainly works with the mac pro/airs we have here - we'll check this out!

mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

Hello, I seem to be having a similar issue.

I just purchased the USB MicroSD Reader - MicroSDXC Reader more specifically. I paired it with a 64GB MicroSDXC card and it is not recognized in my MacBook Air 11" laptop - on Mountain Lion.

The combination works fine on a Windows 7 laptop. The card is formatted in exFAT. I also tried formatting it to FAT32. Still not recognized in my MacBook Air.

I also tried a 32GB MicroSDHC card and that is recognized just fine.

The device seems to work fine, but it would seem the MBA doesn't recognize SDXC cards even though support for this was added after Snow Leopard.

Might someone have any suggestion as to what I can do or try to make it work with my MBA? I haven't had much luck with my googling.

mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

Okay, I found some old MicroSDHC readers that I forgot I had. They're not as small in size, but the MacBook Air can read the 64GB MicroSDXC card just fine. Too bad. I wanted the small form factor and thought the SDXC label would guarantee it to work. Works on Win 7, but not my MBA. I guess I'll look elsewhere.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”