PN532 NFC/RFID Shield vs PN532 Break-out

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alfateksystems

PN532 NFC/RFID Shield vs PN532 Break-out

Post by alfateksystems »

I wanted the PN532 NFC/RFID controller breakout board: ID 364. (The PN532 is the most popular NFC chip, and is what is embedded in pretty much every phone or device that does NFC. It can pretty much do it all.) But it is out of stock as per your web-site, and I cannot complete my order.

An alternative is the Adafruit PN532 NFC/RFID Controller Shield for Arduino + Extras: ID: 789. I can use both to integrate with Arduino and then to the computer. But from the description, it seems that I can connect ID: 364 directly to the computer, (using FTDI), while I cannot do so with ID: 789. Is that true?

From further reading it seems that the real difference between the two is that the break-out works on 3.3V and so uses a 4050 level shifter. Jumpers, layout settings, pins apart, are there any other meaningful hardware differences between the two products? Also, has anyone been able to use the Shield (ID: 789) +FTDI to talk with a Windows based computer?

Thanks for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: PN532 NFC/RFID Shield vs PN532 Break-out

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

All the same signals exist on the shield version. You can connect it to a computer using an FTDI Friend. https://www.adafruit.com/products/284

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”