Adafruit ADS1115 I2C 16-Bit ADC

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
static

Adafruit ADS1115 I2C 16-Bit ADC

Post by static »

I received an Adafruit ADS1115 I2C 16-Bit ADC the other day. I soldered a header to it and tried to get it hooked up to my Raspberry Pi the other day. I used the Linux "i2cdetect" command line tool, but I couldn't get an address to appear. I tried troubleshooting the bus, eventually trying just the ADS1115 on the bus, but could never get anything to appear.

I assumed that I didn't solder something correctly. I took a look at the joints today and they look to be intact.

However, on closer inspection, it looks like the main chip is soldered askew. It also appears that the SMD component directly inline with the "GND" label is not completely soldered. The little chip only appears to be soldered on one side. On the product page, the main chip looks to be soldered square to the board. This one looks like it is definitely skewed (it appears to have an extra leg).

I'm not sure I'm ready for SMD soldering. Well, I'm working on it, but I'd like to do it with a project that I know how it works, first. With this, if I mess with it, and it still doesn't work, I'm not going to know if it is my technique or not.
Attachments
DSC_2197small.jpg
DSC_2197small.jpg (70.11 KiB) Viewed 898 times
DSC_2196small.jpg
DSC_2196small.jpg (76.75 KiB) Viewed 898 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit ADS1115 I2C 16-Bit ADC

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Definitely a problem there. You are welcome to practice your SMD soldering on this one. And if you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can get you a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”