Electret Microphone Amplifier - ID: 1063

by jay_w on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 am

I received the Electret Microphone Amplifier yesterday and was experimenting with the Arduino. The range of values I'm getting back seems to indicate that it's not really picking up normal sound. I've tried adjusting the gain potentiometer with no better results. This is true at 3.3v and 5v. Blowing on the microphone will cause it to return values covering the entire range, but normal speech and yelling are essentially the same as silence from an output standpoint. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bum part?

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063
jay_w

Re: Electret Microphone Amplifier - ID: 1063

by adafruit on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:28 pm

how far away are you from the microphone? how are you measuring the output?
adafruit

by jay_w on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:04 pm

I've tried all different distances from the microphone with the same results each time. The only real way I have to measure the output is by using the Arduino's analog ports, and seeing the size of the waveform in terms of the numeric distance from silence. In all cases, the distance has been too slight to be of any use.

Specifically, I was trying to experiment with the uSpeech library, but it interprets everything as silence. That's when I wrote code to actually look at the output to see what was going on.
jay_w

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:02 am

Post a photo showing your soldering and connections to the Arduino.
adafruit_support_bill