Question on MAX31855 code

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fwfreak

Question on MAX31855 code

Post by fwfreak »

I am using one of the MAX31855 breakout boards on a oven controller I'm building and went to the github site for the Adafruit code. I found a number of issues with the existing code, to the point that I rewrote it and posted the revised code on my website: http://www.seanet.com/~karllunt/max31855.html

Note that my code is C, not C++. If you are heavily into Arduino, this is going to look very different from the sketches you're used to.

One question I had with the code is it doesn't appear to handle negative thermocouple values correctly in gcc-avr. It does seem to handle negative reference values properly, but that doesn't help you with the thermocouple.

Specifically, this code in Adafruit_MAX31855::readCelsius(void) seems wrong:
==========================
// get rid of internal temp data, and any fault bits
v >>= 18; <-- this does not sign-extend in the gcc-avr compiler
//Serial.println(v, HEX);

// pull the bottom 13 bits off <-- actually, the bottom 13 bits plus 1 sign bit
int16_t temp = v & 0x3FFF;

// check sign bit
if (v & 0x2000)
temp |= 0xC000;
//Serial.println(temp);

double centigrade = v; <-- again, sign is not extended (in gcc-avr) so centigrade is always positive

// LSB = 0.25 degrees C
centigrade *= 0.25;
return centigrade;
==============================

Notice that the true sign bit of the data value is tested and recorded in temp but is never subsequently used.

There is a println() immediately after the right-shift of v, so this code was tested under at least some conditions; was it tested with negative temperature values generated by the device? Does the Arduino compiler do sign-extension on right-shift? (I don't use that toolset so can't test.)

fwfreak

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Question on MAX31855 code

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for the analysis. Can you post this as an issue to Github? That will make sure it gets on our schedule of fixes.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”