USB NeXT keyboard doesn't fit?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jasper

USB NeXT keyboard doesn't fit?

Post by jasper »

Hi,

After reading this tutorial (http://learn.adafruit.com/usb-next-keyb ... ino-micro/), I purchased all the needed parts from the webshop; however, I'm having a really hard time to connect my keyboard to the supplied mini-DIN6 adapter. While it does look like it ought to fit, I'd rather not force it too much and possible bend a leg inside the keyboard connector.
When I compare the received DIN6 adapter with my keyboard's connector, it seems that the ground and power pins of the adapter are leveled with the black pin in the center, which is not the case with the DIN5 adapter that's used in the pictures.

Any idea where I can get a working adapter from?

Thanks for the awesome project...I hope I can reproduce it here soon :)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: USB NeXT keyboard doesn't fit?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Can you post an end-on photo of your connector, ideally next to a ruler so it's easier to estimate sizes and pin spacing? There are lots of different connectors in the wild, and having rough dimensions will make it easier to narrow a search.

jasper

Post by jasper »

Hi,

Here's a picture of my connector; the issue is with the two upper pins.

What I'm wondering is how come Lady Ada uses the exact right connector in her article/tutorial, but recommends using a connector from the Adafruit store which doesn't fit :(

adafruit_support_mike

It's possible that NeXT used different connectors at different times. They were very cutting-edge machines for their day, and the company spent most of its life in 'startup' mode.

*great* photo BTW.. I'll poke around through some of the usual suppliers (Mouser and Digikey) and see if I can find anything that matches.

jasper

Post by jasper »

Thanks.

I'd also be very interested where Lady Ada got the connector from which she used in the tutorial..

adafruit_support_mike

Okay.. I finally found a datasheet that illustrates the issue: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/222/KMDAX-xS-20587.pdf

There are eight basic pin locations for mini-DIN sockets, and you just leave out the pins you don't need for a given connector. The center key is the problem: it is indeed in different locations for the 5-pin and 6-pin variants.

From a design perspective that makes sense.. you use keys to prevent misalignment and just-plain-wrong connections. The side-lugs and shroud (that stairstep thing on the end of the male connector) prevent misalignment, but the key keeps people from plugging a lower-pin-count male connector into a higher-pin-count female connector. Usually that kind of thing is Bad.

In your case, there are a couple of options:

First - you can make the keyhole on the 6-pin connector larger. From your photo, it looks like the key in your connector is sloped on the side closest to center, so a little grinding with a Dremel or X-Acto knife will give you the clearance you need. Frankly, you could probably drill out the whole center without causing any trouble.. just leave some plastic between the edge of the hole and the pin sockets.

Second - you could get a female mini-DIN-5 connector. Here's a link to a list of options: http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circul ... ricing%7C0 That would cost you a few more dollars and add some delay though.

Third - you could cut the key out of your keyboard connector. I include that more for completeness than as an actual suggestion, because while I have no problem hacking up hardware, I get all sentimental about *vintage* hardware. My old Apple ][ is more of a pet than a project opportunity. ;-)

It does look like linking to a 6-pin adapter without checking for compatability was an oversight on the Adafruit crew's part though. I'll flag this post and let them know there's an issue.

jasper

Post by jasper »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for digging into this; I went for option 1 and got the connector fitting.
Now on to the next part of the project :)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch ... MD-50PL100 is the right part, tutorial fixed! There was some confusion, they all look the same ;)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”