RF M4 problem

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mpboden

RF M4 problem

Post by mpboden »

I just received one of the RF M4 wireless receivers as well as a keyfob remote. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1096

I'm wiring it just as in shown the video and the datasheet schematic. It works, but not as expected. Instead of the LED latching on and staying on as I continuously press and hold the remote button, the LED flashes while I press and hold the button. Then it stops when I let go. Could I possibly be doing something wrong or is my receiver defective?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

adafruit_support_rick

Re: RF M4 problem

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That product ID is for the momentary type, and this is the expected behavior. Sounds like maybe you wanted to order the latching type or toggle type instead?
The M4 momentary type acts like a push button - when the A button is held down, the matching pin goes high. When the A button is released, the matching pin goes low. The pins only go high when a button is pressed
The T4 toggle type acts like an alternating toggle switch - when the A button is pressed the first time, the matching pin goes high. When the A button is pressed a second time, the matching pin goes low. The pins are turned on and off by repeated presses
The L4 latch type acts like a selector switch - when the A button is pressed the first time, the matching pin goes high. When the B button is pressed it turns A's pin off and turns B's pin on. When C is pressed, it turns B off, etc. Only one is on at a time. If you press the same button twice, it doesn't turn that pin off.

mpboden

Post by mpboden »

Not exactly.
The M4 momentary type acts like a push button - when the A button is held down, the matching pin goes high. When the A button is released, the matching pin goes low. The pins only go high when a button is pressed
As the quote states, the pin goes high when it is held down. And it should continuously stay high as long as I hold the button. In fact, this is what is demonstrated in the video. I do not want it to act as a latch. I want it to act like a momentary press button, like a doorbell. But shouldn't it stay high as long as the button is pressed? Watch the video and you'll see that the LED stays lit while the button is pressed and distinguishes when released. It doesn't flash like mine.

Any other thoughts?

adafruit_support_rick

Ah. OK, sorry. Got it.

So, is it flashing at a steady rate, or is it more random? Does it do the same thing with all 4 buttons?

adafruit_support_rick

Couple of other questions - trying to see if we can narrow it down to the transmitter or receiver.

How close are you to the receiver? I presume the flashing happens when your standing next to it, not when you're across the street?

How far away from the receiver can you get before it stops receiving? Does the flashing rate change as you get farther away?

mpboden

Post by mpboden »

The problem appears to be a poor power source. I was using a 9volt battery and I think it was a bit old. (It measured 7.6 volts.) Anyway, I switched to a 5volt wall-wart and it's working now. I guess I'll know for sure when I get a new 9volt battery. Off to the store.

So, I'll chalk this up as a learning experience. Thanks for your help.

adafruit_support_rick

Sure. 9V batteries don't have a lot of oomph to begin with.

mpboden

Post by mpboden »

Ok...so after some more testing and a lot of wasted time, I've concluded that this thing has to be broken.

It doesn't matter what power supply I use, 9v battery, 4 AA batteries, 5v wall-wart or 9v wall-wart. They all have strange intermittent behavior. When I measure the voltage level of Vcc, it matches the input voltage. Yet when I measure the voltage of any of the data pins with the device powered on but no buttons pressed, the voltage levels are fluctuating all over the place. And pressing any of the remote buttons doesn't help in any regards. Sometimes the LED is on, sometimes it does nothing, other times it blinks.

Looks like I'm going to try and return/exchange it.

adafruit_support_rick

Hmmm... That doesn't exactly sound like it's broken. It sounds more like intermittent wiring connections. Could you please post some photos, showing your wiring?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”