Product request: Perma-Proto board modification

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
plantgrower

Product request: Perma-Proto board modification

Post by plantgrower »

I have just seen your excellent new product Adafruit Perma-Proto Small Mint Tin Size Breadboard PCB

May I suggest a couple of things that this board has that could be implemented on your already excellent perma proto boards.

Currently on your permaproto boards the rails that run from the centre to the power rails have a gap one row wide where they end and the power rail starts. The mint size board doesn't have this gap presumably because there is so little space to use. I would like the perma proto boards to also not have this gap and here's why. I use connectors with 3 wires on them for sensors if there was no gap I could solder in a standard 3 pin connector base i.e. molex. across the power/ground/signal pins and then be able to plug/unplug them easily.

The other feature I would like added from the mint board is to implement central power rails as this would give me more flexibility in connecting sensor connectors and the ability to add 4 pin ones power/gnd and signal either side.

I hope you can implement these features as I have to use cheap and nasty board like this at the moment to get these features for my prototyping http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200703298675? ... 1423.l2648

thanks
Last edited by plantgrower on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpeg2

Re: Product request: Perma-Proto board modification

Post by mpeg2 »

Can't you simply solder a jumper to connect the rail to power or ground?

Rich

plantgrower

Post by plantgrower »

mpeg2 wrote:Can't you simply solder a jumper to connect the rail to power or ground?

Rich
I am going to be using a teensy 3 or similar and will join the ground and power pins to the appropriate rails.

But this obviously won't work for having the signal/gnd/power rails contiguous to each other for attaching a 3 pin connector.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The concept of the PermaProto is to mimic exactly the layout of a standard breadboard so that designs could be transferred directly.

But I do agree that having signal pins adjacent to the power/ground rails is very convenient for 3-wire devices such as sensors and servos. Thanks for the suggestion :)

plantgrower

Post by plantgrower »

adafruit_support wrote:The concept of the PermaProto is to mimic exactly the layout of a standard breadboard so that designs could be transferred directly.

But I do agree that having signal pins adjacent to the power/ground rails is very convenient for 3-wire devices such as sensors and servos. Thanks for the suggestion :)
I understand but you have broken this convention with several versions now with the mint tin and raspberry pi versions.

The utility of my proposed layout would be very useful for more permanent projects though they may be more expensive to manufacture ?

Thanks for the consideration of the idea and keep making quality products!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Ladyada is one step ahead of us. These are new in the store today: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1214

plantgrower

Post by plantgrower »

adafruit_support wrote:Ladyada is one step ahead of us. These are new in the store today: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1214
These are the ones I meant by mint tin.

Now we just need them bigger :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”