Breakout board + Arduino Due compatibility

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jrunnels

Breakout board + Arduino Due compatibility

Post by jrunnels »

Hello,

I have been using a number of Adafruit breakout boards for various Arduino projects, namely the MicroSD board, the ADXL326 board, and the L3GD20 board. All of the boards have the necessary voltage regulators to step down the 5V from an Arduino board to the more common 3.3 V level of the circuits. I am now in the process of migrating some of my projects over to the Arduino Due, which of course operates at 3.3 V. So my question is this: can I use the breakout boards with the Due as they are, or will they need to be modified to remove the voltage regulator? It seems to me that if the voltage regulator works off of simple linear resistance, then it would take the 3.3 V from the Due and step it down by the equivalent fraction (i.e. step it down to 2.2 V). This would obviously be undesirable, so the regulator would have to be bypassed. If on the other hand, the regulator is a more complicated design made to handle a variety of voltages, then potentially the breakout board could be directly compatible with the Due. Can anyone tell me if this is the case?

Many thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Breakout board + Arduino Due compatibility

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Just connect your 3.3v supply to the 3vo pin instead of Vin. That bypasses the regulator.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”