brass water flow meter 833

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thermodynamics

brass water flow meter 833

Post by thermodynamics »

I have recently purchased this flow meter. The spec sheet says 1/2" NPT. However, the male end of the flow meter will not turn into a 1/2" female adapter. I have tried it with multiple adapters. It appears that the thread is cylindrical. Is there a special threaded adapter that is used with this flow meter. Can someone shed some light on this ?

Thank you.

adafruit

Re: brass water flow meter 833

Post by adafruit »

does it -kind- of fit? this is the first time we've heard it doesnt fit NPT and we've sold a bunch :)

thermodynamics

Post by thermodynamics »

The male end of the flow meter threads in "one" turn into a female adapter. So I guess it kinda fits. However, I am hesitant to have to use a wrench to turn it in more. I have tried the flow meter with a non tapered cylindrical 1/2" thread, and it threads in with out any issues. As well, the male end of the flow meter has a flat face which looks like it was meant to mate with a gasket of some sort to make a seal.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hmmm. Sounds like an NPSC thread instead of NPT. I'll look into that.

thermodynamics

Post by thermodynamics »

The threads on the flow meters that I received are 1/2" BSPP not NPT. Are there special fittings that can be purchased for this flow meter to adapt to NPT. Do you have this flow meter with NPT threads?

adafruit_support_bill

Adapters are available from places like Grainger, Cole Parmer, Parker etc. I'm still waiting for word on the threading for the rest of our stock.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Sorry for the delayed response, wanted to figure out exactly whats up, the brass flow meter we have matches up perfectly with mcmaster carr # 5116K88 so which is why we thought its NPT when in fact its NPS (not tapered)!

Not sure about adapters, will update the text description of the item!

curdnerd

Post by curdnerd »

Hi, I just ordered one of these sensors, and I'm curious if it is indeed NPT or not. Also, does it care which direction the flow is? Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_bill

As the previous post states, these are NPS, not NPT. And yes, they are directional.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/833#Technical_Details
Mechanical:
1/2" nominal pipe connections, non-tapered, 0.78" outer diameter, 1/2" of thread
Size: 2.65" x 1.0" x 1.4"

ctand

Post by ctand »

Hey! I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that product information is updated again. Nominality of pipe thread differs from application to application. Saying that the brass flow sensor is nominal threaded literally means "I don't know but it's 1/2" specific to something." The input of these adapters is 1/2" NPT aka National Pipe Thread (tapered) and the output is 1/2" BSPP aka British Standard Parallel Pipe (non-tapered). Please update the listing! Also, if you are choosing to carry these and sell them in the US you should also sell 1/2" BSPP Female to 1/2" NPT brass adapters as they are seriously difficult to find and practically useless without them if you are using the sensor under any kind of real pressure. I got one on ebay from a seller in the UK for around $10 USD shipped. Also note that BSPP threads are not designed to seal and require a gasket. A proper adapter comes with a gasket in the BSPP female end. Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'll pass that information along to the products team. Thanks!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Thanks, tech details updated...There's so much to know about pipe threads !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”