Bad temp readings with MAX31855 breakout board

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
scott216

Bad temp readings with MAX31855 breakout board

Post by scott216 »

I have four MAX31855 breakout boards connected to an arduino mega. They breakout boards are close to the thermocouples. Three of the thermocouples have a 5-conductor 18 gauges wire connecting the breakout board to my arduino mega. This 5 conductor wire is about 10 feet long. The fourth breakout board is right next to the arduino. I have the little capacitor soldered to the t/c terminal block. The actual temperature for all the thermocouples is room temp, high 60s low 70s. But they are all reading in the low 30s. The temperature jumps around a lot and it's frequently exactly 32 degrees. Anyone have some suggestions to what might be causing this?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Bad temp readings with MAX31855 breakout board

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You can't extend thermocouples with copper wire. They must be connected directly to the amplifiers, or extended with type K thermocouple extension wire.

scott216

Post by scott216 »

adafruit_support wrote:You can't extend thermocouples with copper wire. They must be connected directly to the amplifiers, or extended with type K thermocouple extension wire.
I'm not extending the thermocouple wires. The thermocouples are wired directly into the breakout board. On the other side of the breakout board I soldered in at 6-position terminal block. I have a 5-conductor cable connected to this terminal block (I didn't connect anything to 3v pin). 10 feet away, the other side of the 5-conductor cable goes to a terminal block that's connected to my Arduino mega.

adafruit_support_bill

10 feet is rather long. But if you are seeing the same results from the closer one that is not likely the problem.

What does the internal temperature report?

Code: Select all

// basic readout test, just print the current temp
   Serial.print("Internal Temp = ");
   Serial.println(thermocouple.readInternal());

scott216

Post by scott216 »

I won't be able to test that until this weekend. Any additional things you suggest I test while I'm at it?

adafruit_support_bill

Any additional things you suggest I test while I'm at it?
Make sure that the thermocouple wires are firmly clamped in the screw-terminals. Keep the probes away from any potential EMI sources.

Observe the change in output with changes in temperature. (cold/hot water are easy ways to test this). If the response is in the wrong direction, reverse the probe leads. We did have a bunch of them that were marked in reverse of the normal color codes.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”