WTB GOL 1.4 v Chip

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Lambss

WTB GOL 1.4 v Chip

Post by Lambss »

Alright, so I spent a ton of time this week soldering up the GOL kit and then the usbtinyISP kit in order to flash the chip that came with it to 1.4 . Problem is, I cant get it to reprogram. I've read about every forum page in the usbtinyisp section that relates to mine, and the one thing I noticed is this. There was very few people getting a resolution to the problem I'm having, which is the initialization failed, rc=-1.

I really just dont want to deal with trouble shooting this, I'm very new to electronics and this is taking up all of my learning time trying to figure it out. MY time is very limited and its hard to justify spending all of it on trying to get this thing to program myself, when I have no real goals to program chips anyways, I'm only on tutorial 3 of Arduino for crying out loud :(.

Just wondering if anyone has a 1.4 GOL chip they can sell me? Or where I can possibly find one?

Thanks for your time.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: WTB GOL 1.4 v Chip

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Does it work with the preprogrammed firmware?
Could be an assembly issue on the GOL board. If you post detailed pictures of both sides, we can have a look. Hope you haven't stuck the battery pack on yet...

Lambss

Post by Lambss »

I've been having a hell of a time with this. Yes, it works with the preprogrammed. I have tested it with the batteries in, and with it getting power from the USBTINYISP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OPLYKW9Rms

It looks very similar to that when on, just with only one board.

adafruit_support_rick

What happens if you install the pre-programmed chip, take the batteries out and power the board through the USBtiny? Do the lights come on? Does it start to run?

Lambss

Post by Lambss »

Yup

adafruit_support_rick

Make sure all the solders on the ICSP header are solid, both on the GOL and on the USBtiny. If you post pictures, we can have a look.
Also, did you install the 'optional' resistors (R4 and R7) on the USBtiny, or did you jumper them?

Lambss

Post by Lambss »

Installed the resistors, did not jump them. the ICSP on the USB looks solid, it was easier to solder because it came as one piece. Now the GOL ICSP is another issue. I had to use 3, 2 pins, and solder them onto the GOL (I dunno what the pins are really called.) The first time I soldered it, one of the sets of pins looked to be a little higher up than the rest, but not much.

Would that create an issue (Probably, yes)?

I'll try resoldering it now, will have to get pictures later, im the only person in the world without a camera ready.

adafruit_support_rick

I don't suppose you have a scope handy?
If you've got a multimeter, you might check for continuity on the signal lines (we already know you've getting 5V and GND thru the ICSP).
Here's the ICSP pinout:
icsp.png
icsp.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 588 times
On the GOL, you should see continuity between
ICSP pin ATMega pin
4 17
1 18
3 19

If that all rings out, then with the 6-pin cable attached, repeat the check for continuity between the USBtiny ICSP and the GOL ATMega pins

Lambss

Post by Lambss »

Will have to test later, work is calling me in. Just wanted to say thanks for your help, I'll check with the multimeter tonight and try to get you some pictures as well.

Lambss

Post by Lambss »

Alright, this where I am at. I managed to get avrdude to read the chip, and I even get it to program it, but what I cannot get it to do is turn on after its programmed. So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. The file I downloaded with the 1.4 had many other files with it, but only one HEX file, is the hex the only file I need to worry about when programming?

adafruit_support_rick

I don't know anything about the 1.4 version. We support v1.3.
If you can contact dataman, perhaps he can help. His GOL wiki is here:
https://github.com/Dataman/GOL/wiki

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”