9V battery holder with switch & 5.5mm/2.1mm plug

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
diy_babe

9V battery holder with switch & 5.5mm/2.1mm plug

Post by diy_babe »

Hi all just joined today nice to meet you. I really need some help and would really appreciate your advice. I have a Hamy C-208A 2.4ghz wireless camera that has a 2.5mm dc connector and I need a 9v dc battery holder with switch but also has the 2.5mm connector. Adafruit has one but it has a 2.1mm connector my question is will this still fit my camera connector? I can attach a photo of my camera and the adafruit 9V battery holder with switch & 5.5mm/2.1mm plug if you like.

my camera: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/2-4ghz-1-3-c ... 208a-.html

adafruit 9v battery box: http://www.adafruit.com/products/67

Thanks, Love & Light xx

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 9V battery holder with switch & 5.5mm/2.1mm plug

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There is typically some tolerance for mating different sizes of plugs - depending on how much spring there is in the contacts. But with a 0.4mm difference in stated dimensions, you would have to try it to be sure.

diy_babe

Post by diy_babe »

adafruit_support wrote:There is typically some tolerance for mating different sizes of plugs - depending on how much spring there is in the contacts. But with a 0.4mm difference in stated dimensions, you would have to try it to be sure.
Thank you adafruit support for answering my query. Does your 9v holder with switch come with the 2.1mm soldered on please as I have no soldering iron.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes. The connector is pre-soldered.

arctic_eddie

Post by arctic_eddie »

We have this problem regularly with astronomic telescopes. Meade uses the 2.5mm plug and Celestron uses the 2.1mm plug. We have found that the 2.1mm plug will not fit in the 2.5mm socket. The other combination will work but is very unreliable. The 0.4mm of clearance allows the plug to move sideways and sometimes lose contact. You may see some advice to spread the two halves of the socket pin. This will work but there is great danger in spreading them too far and breaking one side off the base. The best approach is to get the right size plug and connect it is parallel with the other. There are also adapter sets to convert the 2.5mm plug to other sizes.

diy_babe

Post by diy_babe »

Arctic_Eddie wrote:We have this problem regularly with astronomic telescopes. Meade uses the 2.5mm plug and Celestron uses the 2.1mm plug. We have found that the 2.1mm plug will not fit in the 2.5mm socket. The other combination will work but is very unreliable. The 0.4mm of clearance allows the plug to move sideways and sometimes lose contact. You may see some advice to spread the two halves of the socket pin. This will work but there is great danger in spreading them too far and breaking one side off the base. The best approach is to get the right size plug and connect it is parallel with the other. There are also adapter sets to convert the 2.5mm plug to other sizes.
Thank you Arctic_Eddie so I could use a 2.5mm to 2.1mm adapter to use to adafruit 9v holder?

Edit: Would this work http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/17093927 ... pla&crdt=0 that won't work as it'll need a 2.5mm male to 2.1mm female then the adafruit 9v holder 2.1mm male will fit lol

arctic_eddie

Post by arctic_eddie »

That's the wrong one. It adapts 2.5mm down to 2.1mm. You need the first one shown below that one, 2.1mm to 2.5mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1mm-2-5mm-D ... %26ps%3D54

diy_babe

Post by diy_babe »

Arctic_Eddie wrote:That's the wrong one. It adapts 2.5mm down to 2.1mm. You need the first one shown below that one, 2.1mm to 2.5mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1mm-2-5mm-D ... %26ps%3D54
Thanks Arctic_Eddie for showing me which one to get its so confusing all these versions lol

diy_babe

Post by diy_babe »

I have bought a soldering kit wish me luck :lol:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”