Atmega32u4 came with Arduino Leonardo loader?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jemcgarvey.com

Atmega32u4 came with Arduino Leonardo loader?

Post by jemcgarvey.com »

I've used the Atmega32u4 boards for several projects with success. Bought two more boards in January and one of them appears in device manager as an Arduino Leonardo, instead of the usual serial port that I see with the AVR109 bootloader.

Can I get this board back to AVR109 without a JTAG connection, or do I need to return it?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Atmega32u4 came with Arduino Leonardo loader?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The Leonardo bootloader already emulates an AVR109. I'm not certain you need to do anything. Have you tried it?

jemcgarvey.com

Post by jemcgarvey.com »

Yes, I've tried it. Here's the command line I've been using and the response I get with this one board...

Code: Select all

C:\avr>avrdude -c avr109 -p m32u4 -P COM9 -U flash:w:main.hex
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM9": The system cannot find the file specified.
I tried it with all the different COMx port numbers, but since the Leonardo does not appear as a serial port in device manager, it's not going to work.

I did find a post on loading Leonardo with avrdude, but it required an initial step from a script to get the Leonardo into bootloader mode.

In any case, if it doesn't work the same as the normal Atmega32u4 boards, it will be a pain I don't want to deal with. So, back to the original question - can I replace the Leonardo with AVR109, or return the board? Somebody was obviously using this board for something, so that it's different from the others I received from Adafruit.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I'm checking on this...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

nothing changed in the board programmer here... it sounds like its 'latching onto' the leonardo bootloader, you will have to completely uninstall that one and re-install the avr109 one. OR you can press the reset button and check the bootloader COM port that appears - make sure you're using that one not the 'client' COM port!

jemcgarvey.com

Post by jemcgarvey.com »

I'm not suggesting you have changed anything. I bought some of these boards 2 years ago, and bought 2 more this year. One of the new ones works like the old ones, but one has the Leonardo bootloader instead of AVR109. I've never used Arduino, or Leonardo at all, so I haven't installed anything on my PC for it latch on to.

When I push the reset button, Device Manager shows an "Arduino Leonardo Bootloader", but no COM port. When I push the button on any of my other Atmega32u4 boards, the COM port appears in Device Manager, and I can load with avrdude. But this one board does not create a COM port, so I can't set that COM port on avrdude, because there is NO COM PORT!

jemcgarvey.com

Post by jemcgarvey.com »

I ordered an AVR programmer, so I can replace the bootloader in this board. This issue is closed.

I also found that the good bootloader on the newer Atmega32u4 boards times out in 5 sec after pushing reset, and Windows 7 often takes that long to recognize the COM port, so it's hit or miss whether I can get avrdude to connect in time. The older version of the bootloader waits 10 sec and always works, so I'll load that version on all my boards and be happy.

Thanks for trying..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”