Bad SD card or card reader

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
justbennet

Bad SD card or card reader

Post by justbennet »

I received a Raspberry Pi Starter Kit (with Pi included) yesterday, and I think it has a defective SD card or USB MicroSD Card Reader/Writer.

I've contacted the giver to get the order number and such, but here is what I've tried so far.

I inserted the SD card into the MicroSD Reader, then plugged the MicroSD Reader first into all of the USB ports on the back of an iMac running OS X 10.6.8. It never showed up on the desktop, it was not visible to Disk Utility, and no device files were created in /dev. I have other devices that work fine with all the USB ports -- disks, mice, keyboards, etc.

I also tried plugging it into the USB ports on a Lenovo T500 running Windows Vista Home Edition, and it never showed up as a device or drive.

Let me know what other diagnostics you would like me to do, and how you'd like to handle this, since it was a gift, and I'm obviously not the purchaser.

-- bennet

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Bad SD card or card reader

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you have another card to try with it, we can narrow it down to the card or the reader.

justbennet

Post by justbennet »

I'll get one of each from the RadShack today and let you know.

-- bennet

justbennet

Post by justbennet »

It appears to have been the reader that was defective. The card reads in the new card reader I got from RadShack.

-- bennet

justbennet

Post by justbennet »

I just got mail from the person who gave it to me, and you're shipping a replacement reader.

Thanks! -- bennet

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”