Mini IR remote (389) NEC commands

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lorr

Mini IR remote (389) NEC commands

Post by lorr »

Hi,

I just ordered the mini IR remote and would like to ask if anyone has a list of which button on the remote corresponds to which NEC command.

The product description says "The remote uses the NEC encoding type and sends data codes 0 thru 26 (it skips #3, #7, #11, #15, #19 and #23) to address #0.", but I don't have an oscilloscope to test which button sends which number.

I am doing a project with MSP430(G2231) so I can't use the Arduino library/code provided.
I'm planning to use code from here to decode the IR signal: http://forum.43oh.com/topic/737-cir-inf ... -protocol/

Thank you

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Mini IR remote (389) NEC commands

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I don't happen to know the codes off the top of my head, but this page from the IR-controlled RasPi Media Center has a config file that might be handy: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=38263

BeerCannon

Post by BeerCannon »

I'm using IRLibrary to decode the remote, and here are the codes I get with it:

0xFFFFFFFF = repeat code (i.e. every key will send this code after its inital code, if the button is held in).

0xFD00FF = Vol-
0xFD807F = Play/Pause
0xFD40BF = Vol+
0xFD20DF = Setup
0xFDA05F = Up Arrow
0xFD609F = Stop/Mode
0xFD10EF = Left Arrow
0xFD906F = Enter/Save
0xFD50AF = Right Arrow
0xFD30CF = 0/10+
0xFDB04F = Down Arrow
0xFD708F = Return (the arrow that bends 180 degrees)
0xFD08F7 = 1
0xFD8877 = 2
0xFD48B7 = 3
0xFD28D7 = 4
0xFDA857 = 5
0xFD6897 = 6
0xFD18E7 = 7
0xFD9867 = 8
0xFD58A7 = 9

I believe the two bytes following the "FD" byte are: the command, and then the complement of the command (i.e. all the bits reversed). Each byte represented by two characters, which together form a hexadecimal value from 00 to FF (0 to 255 decimal).
Last edited by BeerCannon on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

BeerCannon wrote:I'm using IRLibrary to decode the remote, and here are the codes I get with it:
Thank you.. that's something I wasn't able to find among the documents. Fortunately Adafruit is blessed by an abundance of Really Cool People. ;-)

BeerCannon

Post by BeerCannon »

Thanks.. hopefully the answers I gave satisfy the original poster's question.

I'm not much help with components and engineering (since I'm a software guy by trade), but I'm always willing to share whatever I've picked up along the way.

Just reading through the problems, troubleshooting methodologies, and solutions on this forum is quite an education.. it's not wasted on me. I read this forum like a reference book, and when I think of everything I've learned over the last several months, I'm amazed!

lorr

Post by lorr »

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been able to figure out the codes yet , but from what I'm seeing, each single press of the button (not incl. repeats) from the mini remote is 34 pulses long - probably a header pulse, 32 bits (8 hex letters) of command, and the ending pulse, which is a good indicator that it probably is NEC protocol. I haven't been able to read the length of each pulse though. I'll post up what works for me, if I ever get it to work.

I'm new to C, but I'm trying to learn a little more so that I can try modifying the code (from link in my first post) and getting Timer values while debugging - timer values when the MSP430 reads up and down pulse edges of the IR signal.

// edit:
my mistake, it was actually 34 pulse edges I counted, not pulses. So it's not the NEC protocol described here: http://wiki.altium.com/display/ADOH/NEC ... n+Protocol

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”