rePaper eInk Dev Board - Bubbles on Cover

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thelonious

rePaper eInk Dev Board - Bubbles on Cover

Post by thelonious »

Adafruit,

I just received the rePaper eInk Dev Board and when I look at the display, there is a plastic sheet on top of it. There are air bubbles and even a particle or two of debris under that sheet. When I removed the tab from the end of the unit, that plastic cover did not come off. So, before I destroy the thing, I wanted to know if the plastic sheet should be removed. If it is not supposed to be removed, then it looks like I will need to return the unit for a replacement.

Thanks,
Kevin

adafruit_support_bill

Re: rePaper eInk Dev Board - Bubbles on Cover

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That sound like that is just a protective sheet for shipping. I don't have one here, but I'll try to get my hands on one soon to confirm.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

there is a thin film with a tab, it does take a little pulling but it will come off. the eInk does not have bubbles

thelonious

Post by thelonious »

Excellent. Yes, when I lifted the tab, it came off without taking the film with it. I'm notorious for hosing these little displays, so I wanted to double-check before brute-forcing myself into corner.

I was able to grab a corner with tweezers. There was something smeared on the display where I was seeing the bubbles. Fortunately, that cleaned up just fine.

I don't know if you give feedback to manufacturers, but they may want to know about that. Also the cardboard holder for the display didn't work too well for shipping. The display was floating freely in the box. There was plenty of bubble wrap to prevent issues, however.

Thanks for the help!

-Kevin

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

And thanks for the feedback! :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”