FTDI Friend Error with Atmega328

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eboxhead

FTDI Friend Error with Atmega328

Post by eboxhead »

Ive burned the bootloader to a new atmega328 and have the bare minimum setup on a breadboard to be able to talk to it from the Arduino IDE. I figured I would try something new and use the FTDI Friend to program the chip, but every time I go to upload I get the same error: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding.

The board is selected as Uno, and I've tried every type of programmer it lists. I've installed the latest FTDI driver (OS X) and tried a few different hookups and i still receive the same error.

Has anyone else run in to this?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: FTDI Friend Error with Atmega328

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Which bootloader did you burn to the chip?
Do you know that your bootloader is active during the upload attempt? Do you have an auto-reset circuit or are you resetting manually?

eboxhead

Post by eboxhead »

I burned the generic bootloader that comes with the Arduino IDE. I've also built in an auto-reset circuit with a 1k from pin 1 to +5 and 1u cap going to the 328 pin 1. Ive also tried with the FTDI friend with the standard CST and changed it over to DTR.

adafruit_support_bill

Do you have any leds hooked up to verify that it is resetting and the bootloader is running?

eboxhead

Post by eboxhead »

The only LED i have hooked up is to pin 13, running a basic blink sketch. The LED goes out and flickers for a short period and then starts blinking again after the failure.

adafruit_support_bill

The bootloader should give you three short flashes after a reset. This indicates that it is ready for an upload. If your auto-reset circuit is working, the flash pattern should be the same if for a manual reset.

You can also try doing a manual reset just as the upload starts. You need to time it right, so it may take several tries.

eboxhead

Post by eboxhead »

Found the issue... I was using the wrong size cap. However a manual reset seems to work perfectly so until .1uf caps come this will work. THanks for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”