Single coin acceptor in MAME

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tdawg125

Single coin acceptor in MAME

Post by tdawg125 »

Hello all. I was wondering if anybody knew if I could use the single coin acceptor wire it into some kind of USB interface and then be able to use that in PiMAME. Thanks any help appreciated!

pburgess

Re: Single coin acceptor in MAME

Post by pburgess »

I've not used the coin acceptor myself, but reading up on it a bit, and having done some MAME controller stuff with the Raspberry Pi, have a couple ideas how this might be done...

The retrogame utility remaps inputs on the Raspberry Pi's GPIO pins into virtual keyboard presses (this was written specifically with MAME in mind). This code normally looks for a LOW signal to register a button press, whereas the coin acceptor emits a HIGH signal. If you just need that one input, turning the code around might not be too difficult. If you're using it for button AND coin input, it'd be a little more complex.

Another possibility is to use a microcontroller as an intermediary (especially if using the multi-coin acceptor, where you need to count pulses and take different actions). This would read the coin acceptor and then either toggle a GPIO line connected to the Raspberry Pi's GPIO (running regular retrogame without the change previously suggested), or would be connected over USB to the Pi and act as a HID device (looking like a keyboard to the system). The Teensy 2.0 board can do this right now, or some HID code for the Trinket will be available at some point (no ETA yet).

tdawg125

Re: Single coin acceptor in MAME

Post by tdawg125 »

Thanks! This helps out a lot I'll be sure to post an update one the project!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”