3-track card reader not working

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ca_user

3-track card reader not working

Post by ca_user »

Hi,

I purchased this product and tried it out with all the cards that I have. From Wikipedia, CA driver's license should contain information in all three tracks. However, what I read consistently was the first two tracks without any information from the third. This is also true when I tried other cards. Could it be a product with a wrong label? It does not seem to read the third track at all. I already reported on Thursday but received no reply at all.

adafruit

Re: 3-track card reader not working

Post by adafruit »

Is there any part # markings on the reader? it should say "CME-233" or something similar?

ca_user

Post by ca_user »

Yes. That is exactly what it shows. However, it does not read out the 3rd track. What could have gone wrong?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Maybe its encoded or encrypted in some way? or maybe its no longer written on the cards? what you have is definitely a 3-track reader, the 2-track reader is CME-232

ca_user

Post by ca_user »

That might be a possibility. However, it is not uncommon for products originally from China to be not so trustworthy. I doubt that that reader might have a wrong label. Could you please test one of your CME-233 readers to see if it can read a driver's license or any card with data on all three tracks?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We have tested these and verified that they can read all three tracks.
If you are not satisfied with the product, you can return it for a refund. Just contact [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange a return.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”