Bluefruit EZ-key Bluefruit Module

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
liam1062

Bluefruit EZ-key Bluefruit Module

Post by liam1062 »

If you are using the Bluefruit module as a UART and want to send data to iPhone or iPad, there is a handy app called Magic MonitorX that allows you to configure your own display windows for your data. Up to 6 data windows, 6 LED indicators and a text area is available. Using the HID profile makes it really easy to display your data.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Bluefruit EZ-key Bluefruit Module

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That sounds interesting - thanks for posting! :D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

lemuroid

Post by lemuroid »

how about some example code to show how to talk to the bluefruit + magic monitor from an uno? your blog says is is easy and provides one line of code. based on that I bought. it may be easy to you but not to me. please help.

lemuroid

Post by lemuroid »

or you can look at my code and lack of understanding directly if that is quicker

rx from bluefruit to dig 0, tx from bluefruit to dig 1

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
Serial.print("^1ON|$One is on|");
delay (3000);
Serial.print("^1OFF|$One is off|");
delay (3000);
}

the magic monitor knows that the bluefruit is there ( test code on monitor does not run) but nothing else happens on the magic monitor

liam1062

Post by liam1062 »

Your code is correct, your connection may not be. You do not need the MagicMonitorX to test your connection. If it is connected correctly your iPhone keyboard will disappear if HID is connected, so just open a Note or start a new email or anything that will use the keyboard as input. With your HID bluefruit connected correctly the keyboard should minimise, your serial output should populate the screen.

lemuroid

Post by lemuroid »

The ipad definitely sees the blue-fruit as a keyboard as the keyboard on the ipad goes away. That said, I am not clear on why magicmonitor is not responding to the commends. I will see what comes up on an email when I am in the secret lab again ( next week). Thanks for the encouragement. Do I have the wiring correct?

liam1062

Post by liam1062 »

It seems you may have the RX TX backward. I have not used the Bluefruit myself but it seems you would need RX to DIG 1(TX) and TX to DIG 0 (RX). Seems strange that you see the keyboard minimize with the connections wrong though.

lemuroid

Post by lemuroid »

i did have them wired backwards. Thanks.
I never did get it to work on the Uno but managed to get it to work on a DUE that was my ultimate goal.
very cool now that it is working.

liam1062

Post by liam1062 »

Glad you got it going. Strange though, Uno should be no different. Maybe check Baud Rates?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”