CC3000 and Color Sensor

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mobilewill

CC3000 and Color Sensor

Post by mobilewill »

Hi,

1) Has anyone used the CC3000 and the color sensor? I almost have it working but when I go and call the color sensor it just hangs. This only happens when loading the CC3000 and the sensor.

The test sketch works fine.

Must be a conflict between the two. I haven't had a chance to take a look. Doesn't make sense since one is I2C the other is SPI.

I should add that I am uploading via ISP with the bootloader turned off because the sketch is 30k. I check ram usage and there is ~1009 bytes free right before it hangs, is that enough?

2) Side question, since I am using a Leonardo and the SPI is on the ISP header, I noticed that they are tied to the digital IO pins still, would that cause problems when using those pins as the same time as the CC3000?
Maybe a PCB update?

3) Also the CC3000 doesn't work at all with the Arduino Due. I tried to get it to work but I just got deeper in to the code. I got it to compile but doesn't actually init the CC3000.

Thanks for any help, this is the last part to get this project done.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: CC3000 and Color Sensor

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

WRT Point 1: It sounds like you're running into a memory limit. The CC3000 library uses some buffers that take a bite out of the SRAM.

WRT point 2: Which 'they' are still connected to IO pins? The Leonardo's SPI connections only go to the ICSP header.

WRT point 3: The Due uses a processor from a completely different family.. that's an ARM core, as opposed to the simple AVR architectures of other Arduinos. Porting code between standard-Arduino and Due is a nontrivial task.

mobilewill

Post by mobilewill »

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I freed up a bit more memory this morning but didn't seam to help. Just before I query the color sensor there is a 1k free. If I comment that out everything else works.

I will have to try on a mega when I get back.

I was referring to the fact that the SPI pins when bridged over to the ICSP header is still connect to the Digital I/O's, since that is the standard setup for the Uno. Sow I used one of those digital pins while using the CC3000 what happens?

True, but there is a SPI library for it. Are there any plans to enable the Due? It would be very helpful since the cc3000 uses so much ram and code space. I can try but I don't know the library as well.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Actually, the ICSP wiring is irrelevant, because the CC3000 isn't compatible with the Leonardo yet: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-shie ... ifi-shield

As far as porting goes, you're welcome to give it a shot. The code is available in our Github repo: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_CC3000_Library

mobilewill

Post by mobilewill »

So far on the Leonardo it works just fine. No problems at all. I can run all the examples sketches. Only the location sketch doesn't resolved the server. But the rest work.

I am not as good with ARM as with AVR but I may give it a real shot if I get a chance.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”