Incorrect Pogo Pin Description

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nand

Incorrect Pogo Pin Description

Post by nand »

I purchased the pogo pins from adafruit. The description says: "they're handy also if say you want to JTAG program a board that you cant solder headers to - just shove these thin contacts into the programming cable and press it onto the contacts." Based on that, I thought they would be perfect for my needs. I needed a pogo'd programming cable for places where a jig would be too big and bulky.

Well, having received them today, I discover that the description is wrong. They do not fit in a JTAG programming cable. I attempted to insert them into my Altera USB Blaster, but they're just too big. To double check, I tried them in a female jumper cable. They kinda fit there, but are obviously too large and it's more of a jamming-like-its-going-to-snap than a fitting.

I don't mind having extra pogo pins around, so it is not a wasted purchase, but it's a bit of a shame these did not fulfill my need.

Hopefully someone from adafruit sees this topic and can update the description so other customers don't run into the same problem.

By the way, if anyone does know of pogo pins that fit in a programming cable, I would certainly be grateful.

Unrelated: Adafruit, please stock single row right angle 0.1" headers.

adafruit

Re: Incorrect Pogo Pin Description

Post by adafruit »

Some JTAG cables are 0.05" pitch, these fit into 0.1" IDC cables we have, they are a press fit, so you have to give them a push.

nand

Re: Incorrect Pogo Pin Description

Post by nand »

Thank you for the response, adafruit, but the Altera USB Blaster is a 0.1" IDC cable. Linky.

As I mentioned, I can get them into female jumper cables with a large amount of force. On the USB Blaster, though, I applied as much force as I believed that I could without snapping the pogo pin. Despite that, they just don't fit.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”