LiPo battery connector wire disconnected

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
firepixie

LiPo battery connector wire disconnected

Post by firepixie »

I just got a 2500mAh LiPo battery from you guys. My connector's ground wire seems to have snapped off (after only about 5 minutes of use and one charge cycle). :(

Can I safely solder this back on? I have read so many warnings about LiPo batteries catching fire that I'm kind of nervous about it. Also, is there a good way to keep this from happening again? Hot glue? I want to be able to use these in wearables and I'm nervous about the connections snapping while I'm dancing or something.

Thanks!
-Firepixie
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (115.96 KiB) Viewed 317 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LiPo battery connector wire disconnected

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can send a replacement. Wires are vulnerable to breaking with repeated flexing close to where they are soldered. If you expect a lot of wire movement, you can add 'strain relief' in the form of tape or Sugru. I would be wary of applying hot glue directly to a LiPo cell.

mdowdy

Re: LiPo battery connector wire disconnected

Post by mdowdy »

I bought two of these for a wearable project and like Firepixie, the ground wire broke off one of the batteries within 15 minutes of testing. I didn't see this thread until just now when I was looking for a place to post a review/warning so I just repaired the broken wire. Over the course of several days using these batteries on my project, I had to repair broken wires no less than 4 times. I know it's not necessarily a good product testament but the fragility of these wires really should be conveyed on the product page. Had I known about the propensity for the these wires to break at the battery connection, I would have taken strain relief much more seriously. If you buy these batteries, especially for a wearable, pay attention to strain relief. Failure to do so could result in much sadness or repair time.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”