CC3000 Hardware Versions

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
drwalker

CC3000 Hardware Versions

Post by drwalker »

I'm using the Adafruit CC3000 module with the TI MSP430 Launchpad with an installed MSP430G2553 and I am having trouble with some of the WiFi modules. I ordered 4 Adafruit Wifi Moldues and received what appears to be 2 hardware variants of the CC3000 chipset. One of the variants works perfectly, while the other hangs in the initialization of the driver in the hci_event_handler at:

if (tSLInformation.usEventOrDataReceived != 0)

I've kept everything the same and simply swap CC3000 modules and have confirmed the error only occurs on one variant. I have updated the driver and firmware packages on all modules. I have attached an image showing the two variants. The top chip (13220 85) is the one that hangs, while the bottom chip (12480 45) is the one that works fine.

Any suggestions how to debug this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
cc3000 variants.jpg
cc3000 variants.jpg (327.91 KiB) Viewed 370 times

adafruit

Re: CC3000 Hardware Versions

Post by adafruit »

from what we can tell, TI (sub)contracted/purchased the design for the CC3000 module from another-company-whos-name-escapes me. the CC3000 chip inside the module is TI's but the surrounding was designed by this other co - anyhow thats why some have some have the TI logo (newer) and some dont. We do buy both direct from TI, and we can't control which 'can' we get, they're sold as the exact same part number!
that said - we always ship with the latest firmware, and we do a full SSID-connect &TCPIP check for each module so they all do work with the Arduino code. We dont have any MSP430's to check against but we know that codebase changes a bunch too. the good news is TI directly supports the MSP430 codebase and they wrote it too - so check out their forums, they have a big support staff there!

http://e2e.ti.com/support/low_power_rf/f/851.aspx

you may want to find an arduino/compatible to try our library as well!

drwalker

Re: CC3000 Hardware Versions

Post by drwalker »

I posted a similar post on Ti's forum and I'm just waiting for a reply. If I don't hear back soon I'll try your arduino library and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Ryan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”