Bluefruit EZ-Link does not auto-speed

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hiduino

Bluefruit EZ-Link does not auto-speed

Post by hiduino »

I have the Bluefruit EZ-Link connecting under Windows XP SP3 and CSR 4.0 dongle but only at 9600 baud. I am running a simple serial echo sketch on an Uno R3 and it works as long as I have the Uno set to 9600 baud. I can startup SerialMonitor from the IDE at any speed, but the EZ-link Tx/Rx ports stay at 9600 baud. Even a simple loopback test on the EZ-Link Tx/Rx port stays at 9600 baud, even though I start the SerialMonitor at (2400, 4800, 19200, 38400, 57600, or 115200) the actual port stays at 9600 baud. I can confirm this by connecting my Uno which is still configured for 9600 baud, and it will talk to the EZ-link even though the SerialMonitor is set to some other rate.

The DTR signal operates as expected and auto-resets the Uno R3 okay. So it looks like it's mostly working except the auto-baud rate detection under Windows XP SP3 and CSR 4.0 (I have tried BlueSoleil v2.6, v5.x, v7.x, and v9.2.470) it only defaults to 9600 baud connections.

I borrowed a Laptop with built in Bluetooth and Windows 7 64-bit. The EZ-Link auto-speed works as expected, so I know the EZ-Link is okay. It's just not performing the auto-speed under the combo Windows XP SP3 and CSR 4.0.

Deqing

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Link does not auto-speed

Post by Deqing »

The auto-speed function issue may be related to Bluetooth stack. We tested it with XP + CSR4.0 dongle and it works perfectly.
I guess BlueSoleil may cause this problem. We didn't install anything for Bluetooth. Just let XP to download necessary drivers from Microsoft directly.

hiduino

Post by hiduino »

I did originally try with just the default Microsoft bluetooth drivers for Windows XP but could get it to connect properly. Maybe I'll try it again.

However, I just tried re-installing the Bluesoleil v2.6 again (6th time) and now it is working correctly with the auto-speed feature on the EZ-Link. If it stops working later on then I'll go back to trying the default Microsoft drivers again.

hiduino

Post by hiduino »

Looks like I can't Win. The EZ-Link failed to auto-speed again with the Bluesoleil drivers. So I switched to the default (Windows XP SP3) Microsoft Bluetooth drivers and then it worked great with auto-speed selection. BUT, now my other Bluetooth devices (RN-41, RN-42) does not link up with the CSR 4.0 dongle.

So it's either I can get the EZ-Link to work with the Microsoft Bluetooth drivers and not RN-41 or RN-42.
Or I use the Bluesoleil Bluetooth drivers and work with the RN-41, RN-42 but not the EZ-Link. Come-on now!!!

Does any know if other versions of a Bluetooth dongle will work with both devices under Windows XP?

hiduino

Post by hiduino »

Adafruit,

Since under some conditions it appears the auto-speed detection does not work at all, it seems to be defaulting to 9600 baud. Can you add a feature to default to another speed like 115200, so that I can program the Uno?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm not sure what would be involved technically, but I'll pass the suggestion along to the people who work on the firmware.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

We don't know whats up with the 'BlueSoleil' drivers but sounds like RN-xx does something *really weird* if it cant link up to the classic stock windows 7 bluetooth drivers, they should! the EZ-Link also works flawlessly with iOS, linux and mac default bluetooth stacks so I'm actually thinking there's something broken with the BlueSoleil drivers that make BT act out of spec (specifically the RFCOMM underlying stack). why the RN devices would need BlueSoleil is unknown - do they say in their documentation its required?

That said, I've seen windows BT get totally borked by having too much BT stuff going on. It's fixable by completely uninstalling all drivers, devices etc and also removing the cached registries under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Devices
(done at your own risk of course!!!)

hiduino

Post by hiduino »

Okay, I removed the BlueSoleil drivers and went back to the Windows XP default Bluetooth drivers. It works fine with the Bluefruit EZ-Link board. But I had trouble with some of my older RN-41 and RN-42 Bluetooth serial boards.

The problem with the RN-41 and RN-42, is they fail to connect with avrdude when run from the Arduino IDE. It connects just fine with avrdude run from command line. So I did a quick change to the avrdude code so that it retries the "CreateFile" on the Bluetooth serial port again, and now it works fine under the IDE.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”