Can't pass the DTR/DSR Test of Bluefruit EZ-Link

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
yehnan

Can't pass the DTR/DSR Test of Bluefruit EZ-Link

Post by yehnan »

I bought Bluefruit EZ-Link - Bluetooth Serial Link & Arduino Programmer - v1.0 ID: 1588
and followed the tutorial http://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-b ... nk/testing

I can pass the Loop-back Test and can do Arduino programming via Bluefruit EZ-Link. But I can't pass the DTR/DSR Test in the tutorial. Can you provide some suggestions? What can be possible causes?

I use Mac Mini, Mac OS X 10.8.5, Arduino 1.0.5, Arduino Uno Rev 3.

In the tutorial, it says:
"EZ-Link Vin to Arduino 5V (or any other 3-16V power input, 5V is ideal)"
But if I connected Vin to Arduino 3.3V, Arduino programming could not be successfully done.

In the tutorial, it put a capacitor between DTR and Arduino's RESET, but didn't mention the polarity of the cap.

By the way, in the Technical details of a product's info, the formats of dimensions are not unified. Sometimes it's like
20.4mm / 0.8" x 41mm / 1.6" x 4mm / 0.2"
sometimes it's like
75.14 x 53.51 x 15.08mm
2.96 x 2.1 x 0.59in

maybe it's better to unify them.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Can't pass the DTR/DSR Test of Bluefruit EZ-Link

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

yehnan wrote:I can pass the Loop-back Test and can do Arduino programming via Bluefruit EZ-Link. But I can't pass the DTR/DSR Test in the tutorial. Can you provide some suggestions? What can be possible causes?
DTR must be OK if Arduino programming works. That means there's some issue with DSR. You may have a bad solder joint on DSR.
yehnan wrote:But if I connected Vin to Arduino 3.3V, Arduino programming could not be successfully done.
Connecting to 3.3V would make the serial signal levels 3.3V, which is marginal for serial communications. It may be that is just doesn't work on your Arduino.
yehnan wrote:In the tutorial, it put a capacitor between DTR and Arduino's RESET, but didn't mention the polarity of the cap.
The cap is in series, so reset goes to +, and - goes to DTR. (I updated the tutorial - good find!)
yehnan wrote:maybe it's better to unify them.
I'll pass along the suggestion!

yehnan

Post by yehnan »

Thanks, all questions are cleared except the DTR/DSR test.

I use Mac Mini, Mac OS X 10.8.5, Serial Tools, Arduino 1.0.5, Arduino Uno Rev 3.

I uploaded a screenshot of Serial Tools software on Mac OS X.
After pairing and connecting, I typed in "abc", because TX is connected to RX, so it showed "aabbcc", which is correct.
Then I checked "DTR", nothing happened, DSR was still grayed.
Then I typed in "123", this times it wouldn't respond, only showed "123".

Suppose my solder joint is good, would you please provide more information to help me debug. I know it's very difficult to debug remotely without seeing my setup. Appreciate your effort.

By the way, in my situation, the blinking pattern of Conn Led on the Bluefruit is not as what the tutorial says.
The tutorial says(http://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-b ... -link/tour):

The red Connection LED is used to indicate the state of the bluetooth connection/link. If it is fast-blinking, there is no pairing for the module. If it is slowly blinking, it's paired to a computer but the connection itself isnt open. If the LED is solid on, that means that the wireless connection is 'live' - the computer has opened a UART connection and is sending/receiving data.

But in my situation, if Bluefruit paired and connected to a computer(like Serial Tools), it will blink fastly not solid on.
Attachments
Serial Tools  screenshot
Serial Tools screenshot
screenshot.png (46.47 KiB) Viewed 719 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

We haven't tried the DTR/DSR test on a mac - but if you can reprogram an arduino, then its def working because the DTR pin is used!

dimensional data will be updated shortly - we're working on a style guide :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”