Retrieving readings from RGB color sensor TCS34725

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kfilar

Retrieving readings from RGB color sensor TCS34725

Post by kfilar »

Just ordered two TCS34725's. We're going to want to retrieve color readings from them using a HiTechnic SuperPro prototyping board. Do you have any examples of how that might be done? We're not very familiar with I2C.

Thanks very much.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Retrieving readings from RGB color sensor TCS34725

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Not familiar with that prototyping board. What sort of microcontroller are you using?

kfilar

Post by kfilar »

Not sure what the processor is, but here's the product page: http://www.hitechnic.com/cgi-bin/commer ... ey=SPR2010

For some reason I had to log in to the HiTechnic website today to see products. Not sure if that will happen to you.

adafruit_support_bill is very familiar with this prototyping board (found this out through another post/issue). It tends to be used by FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) teams because it interfaces with LEGO Mindstorms NXT bricks. We're an FTC robotics team (high school league).

Thanks very much, Hope you can help.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

An Interesting question - made more 'interesting' by FTC rules. The easiest way to communicate with an i2c device from an NXT is directly, since that is the protocol it uses to communicate with all sensors, motors and the prototype board itself. Unfortunately, FTC rules only allow LEGO and HiTechnic sensors to be directly connected. Everything else has to go through the HighTechnic Prototype Board. (R08.n.viii)

It should be possible to implement a 'bit-bang' i2c protocol via the HTPB, but it would be very slow. Another possibility - still within the rules - would be to use another microprocessor to talk to the sensor and a simpler binary interface between that and the HTPB. The thing to watch there is the current limitations of the HTPB. FTC rules require that all additional electronics only draw power from the HTPB. (R08.n.i). You could probably power a Flora and the color sensor. A 3.3v Trinket or Gemma would definitely fit the power budget, but I'm not sure if the color sensor libraries have been tested with that.

kfilar

Post by kfilar »

I think this sounds like a bit more than we want to take on. So, I went ahead and bought a couple color sensors that output RGB values as variable voltages the kids can read directly into the prototyping board through the analog pins.

Thanks for trying to help though.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Any reason not to use the HighTechnic color sensor? You could connect that direct to the Mux.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”