AVR Standalone Fuse Error

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kermed

AVR Standalone Fuse Error

Post by kermed »

Hi,

I picked up an AVR standalone Chip Programmer.

i have assembled it according to the following:
http://learn.adafruit.com/standalone-av ... r/assembly

Included with the "kit" is an ATMEGA328P-PU
IMG_00000698.jpg
IMG_00000698.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 444 times
IMG_00000699.jpg
IMG_00000699.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 444 times
I was able to successfully upload both the Adafruit git sample, and the community submitted sample.

Tested IDE 1.0.1, 1.0.5 and 1.5.5. All showed the same error:

Code: Select all

AdaBootLoader Bootstrap programmer (originally OptiLoader Bill Westfield (WestfW))

Type 'G' or hit BUTTON for next chip
Starting Program Mode [OK]

Reading signature:950F
Searching for image...
  Found "adaboot_atmega328.hex" for atmega328

Setting fuses
  Set Lock Fuse to: 3F -> E000  Set Low Fuse to: FF -> A000  Set High Fuse to: DA -> A800  Set Ext Fuse to: 5 -> A400
Verifying fuses...
	Lock Fuse: 3F is 3F	Low Fuse: 0xFF is 0x62Failed to verify fuses
Possible related threads that didn't help:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=30
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... ne#p242703
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... ne#p242439

Is this a problem with the ATMEL chips that are being sent with the AVR? Or did I maybe miss something during the design?

i am looking to take the blank chip from Adafruit, place it in an Uno and try to burn a bootloader that way. But i dont have any tools to pop-out chips from the UNO safely, so it will need to wait for a future date.

Would love suggestions,

Thanks

Lloyd

adafruit_support_rick

Re: AVR Standalone Fuse Error

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Hard to see your solders, but I'm going to say that you should touch them up a little.
Particularly the connection to Pin 17 of the ATmega. That is the MOSI line - the one that writes to the chip. You can read the chip OK, so that tells me that everything but MOSI is working.

Oddly, MOSI is the wire with the most solder. The adjacent solders look much weaker. Maybe the problem is at the other end of the wire...

kermed

Post by kermed »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Hard to see your solders, but I'm going to say that you should touch them up a little.
Particularly the connection to Pin 17 of the ATmega. That is the MOSI line - the one that writes to the chip. You can read the chip OK, so that tells me that everything but MOSI is working.

Oddly, MOSI is the wire with the most solder. The adjacent solders look much weaker. Maybe the problem is at the other end of the wire...
Hmm same error.

I pulled out the main ZIF connector, and swapped it to have the same orientation. I put on tons of solder and replaced the MOSI cable as a step as well. Tried uploading the sketch from a second computer etc.

When trying to just use the UNO as an ASP with this shield on top, it also produced an error when trying to flash the chip.

Code: Select all

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
I took better photos for you but ultimately the size is restricted here so they had to be reduced.

I haven't ruled out the UNO - but my redboard needs to go back to SparkFun - so I wont be able to verify that for a long while. The UNO works fine for everything except this shield.
IMG_00000701.jpg
IMG_00000701.jpg (592.67 KiB) Viewed 416 times
IMG_00000702.jpg
IMG_00000702.jpg (584.48 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Any ideas?

adafruit_support_rick

Don't know what to tell you. That looks good. I've got a Uno where pin 8 stopped working. Maybe your Uno really is the problem. Does it work with other SPI-based shields? I can't really think of anything else. Have you tried a different ATmega328 chip?

kermed

Post by kermed »

Unfortunately I only have one Arduino and the one ATMEGA chip that was sent with this kit. Which makes it hard to test any further in regards of swapping those.

I am looking to purchase another Uno for backup, but with open issues with the Adafruit AVR and a separate open issue with a sparkfun redboard (to give Adafruit credit - Sparkfun has not been replying to my emails), I am a little stuck. I have a rule to freeze purchases from companies when there are open issues - its not intended to be rude and I like Adafruit - but its a personal way to hold companies accountable in a small way.

I may run the purchase from one if two other places I purchase from that have no open problems. But I haven' made any decisions there yet as the intent behind the AVR was to not buy future Uno's.

Regarding the Uno - I know the digital port works as I have used it for an LED project this morning. And I have found no errors other than this AVR rejecting the chip it came with... I have no idea why it can't write to the chip.

Lloyd

kermed

Post by kermed »

Thank you for all the help, I got it sorted.

I used the Uno to flash the Red Board the old fashioned way.
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

Then uploaded the sample code to the redboard from your tutorial. And used the redboard to flash the chip (success).

Then I used the flashing method above to reflash the Uno. And now the Uno also works with the shield.

My two cents, bad luck and 2 corrupted chips that just needed flashing. But I wouldn't have found that without the help you provided, thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Wow! Good find! :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”