Using ADXL345 breakout board with a 1.8V signal

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dmonger

Using ADXL345 breakout board with a 1.8V signal

Post by dmonger »

Hello,

I'm looking at how I'd connect one of your ADXL345 boards to a system that's has a 1.8V logic level. Looking at the datasheet for the chip it appears the chip can handle a 1.8V IO level (though requires more for Vcc), but with the level shifter and power regulator that are on the breakout board I'm not clear whether I could just attach it directly or whether i'd need an additional shifter.

To that second point, I looked at the TXB0108. The datasheet for the level shifter also says that it can handle 1.8V <-> 5V but the page for the breakout version doesn't mention that possibility.

Thanks,
-p

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Using ADXL345 breakout board with a 1.8V signal

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

1.8v is outside the design specs for the breakout, so there's no telling what would happen. Voltage regulators are especially prone to wierdness when the input falls below their target output level.. most of them use a 1.25v bandgap reference, and most of those only work down to about VCC=2.2v.

WRT the TBX0108, the datasheet is the authoritative source of information about the device, so if it isn't mentioned on the product page it's probably because nobody thought of it. 1.8v is still in the "special parts and techniques required" zone.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”