Invalid AM2315 Temperature Readings

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crmudgeon

Invalid AM2315 Temperature Readings

Post by crmudgeon »

I got my AM2315 I2C sensors about three weeks ago (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1293). As mentioned in other posts here I had a few struggles with getting this sensor to work properly with a Raspberry Pi and eventually got it all sorted out thanks to the work of others. After I got everything working, the sensor worked smoothly for about a week, delivering accurate temp. and humidity readings sampled every minute.

Then I began getting temperature readings of 2000 to 3000 for extended periods on the Raspberry PI using both Python 3 and C libraries. The humidity readings were valid during this time. I then connected the same sensor to one of my Arduinos and was getting a consistent value of -1 and again, the humidity reading was valid. This behavior persisted even after several switches between the Pi and Atmega. Then, after several hours, the sensor began reporting the temperature correctly.

I was pretty convinced that the sensor I received was faulty until I remembered that the temperature reading was off when the ambient temperature was 0 degrees C or below. Before I stick the sensor in the freezer and continue to sift through all the different code for some more testing, has anyone seen this type of behavior? I've seen other posts describing slightly similar behavior with this sensor and the Pi/Python but I can't seem to put my finger on a final solution.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Invalid AM2315 Temperature Readings

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

How far below 0 was the ambient temperature? The 2315 should be good to -20ºC (-4ºF).

crmudgeon

Post by crmudgeon »

It was probably right at 0 C actually. Just a cool night in the south - nothing extreme. Yeah I had checked the data sheet just to be sure. The sensor isn't directly exposed to the elements.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We can replace it.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement sensor.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”