TSR 1-2450 Buck Converter

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
malavon

TSR 1-2450 Buck Converter

Post by malavon »

hi,

I've recently bought a TSR 1-2450 (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1065) and I've been trying to get it to work without much success. So I'd like someone to verify if I'm using it correctly:

All tests done on a breadboard, using 6-8 Eneloop AA batteries, all fully charged (and verified to be working).

I've applied 7.2-10.8V to pin 1 (closest to the dot; Vin), connected pin 2 to the ground (- on the AA batteries) and then I meassured the voltage over pin 3 (Vout) and ground. At this point, I didn't get any readings (0V on multimeter).

I've done the same test with several voltages, no readings. I also tried going below 6.5V, still no success.

Then I disconnected the ground and suddenly I measured around 5.1V from Vout to ground. I was surprised that I was actually getting any readings. Testing this voltage with 2 leds in serial didn't do much; both leds barely lit up. The same leds on 4 AA (5.3V)batteries did work successfully.

Am I doing something wrong here? At one point in time I did manage to get some reading on the output, but I only managed to do it once. It almost looks like there's a bad connection somewhere inside the component.

Or is there any way that I could test this component to verify it is actually working to specification?

My intention would be to power a Beagle Bone Black reliably (without overvolting), but as it stands now it can't generate even enough power to light up some leds, let alone boot a microcontroller.

Thank you for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: TSR 1-2450 Buck Converter

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Can you post a photo of how you have it all connected?

malavon

Post by malavon »

Ok, so in attachment I have included some pictures.

First pictures weren't the best to watch due to quality issues, if necessary I can redo them. I'd just rather not connect the converter for too long in case I'm doing something wrong (I have no idea how resilient this component could be but I'm playing it safe).

In short (and in case something isn't clear in the pictures):
IMG_1399 shows pin 1 connected to + on battery (orange), pin 2 connected to - (dark green), pin 3 connected to led + side (also orange - sorry about that); i on leds goes to minus on battery; 2 leds are connected in serial

IMG_1398 shows the same setup, but no ground connected to the TSR block (so only pin Vin and Vout, dark green is hanging there)

IMG_1401 shows the wiring better from a higher angle

TSR is facing the camera (dot on the left side - thus pin 1 there as well)
Attachments
shows a disconnected from power state, all cables attached as in IMG_1399
shows a disconnected from power state, all cables attached as in IMG_1399
IMG_1401.JPG (793.23 KiB) Viewed 574 times
briefly, GND connected, no power whatsoever on Vout
briefly, GND connected, no power whatsoever on Vout
IMG_1399.JPG (858.29 KiB) Viewed 574 times
briefly, all power applied WITHOUT GND
briefly, all power applied WITHOUT GND
IMG_1398.JPG (911.93 KiB) Viewed 574 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Those connections look right. But clearly it is not behaving properly. Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and well get a replacement out to you.

malavon

Post by malavon »

Ok, thanks. I was starting to question my ability of reading a simple connection diagram :)

I'll see what the support department says.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”