Software Defined Radio Receiver USB Stick - RTL2832 w/R820T

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cBello

Software Defined Radio Receiver USB Stick - RTL2832 w/R820T

Post by cBello »

Hello, purchased a Software Defined Radio Receiver USB Stick - RTL2832 w/R820T[ID:1497] and received it last week. I got SDR# installed using the install script and can find and use the RTL2832. I wanted to test it out by listening in to some FM stations just to be sure it worked before moving on to some projects. I am unable to get the device to find anything on any frequencies. It is just static. I have played with the gain in the "configure" button and some other settings, but am unable to find anything within the FM band or otherwise. I've also tried on a different pc in a different physical location (home vs. work) to see if maybe the building was shielding the FM but got the same results. 98.1 is a big station nearby with the best reception around and as you can see from the attached screen shot it isn't there isn't much to speak of at that frequency on the wave form.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if I have a defective unit.
Attachments
SDR.jpg
SDR.jpg (303.85 KiB) Viewed 234 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Software Defined Radio Receiver USB Stick - RTL2832 w/R8

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The supplied antenna isn't ideal, but it should be OK for a strong local station. Is the antenna's MCX connector firmly seated in the USB stick?

cBello

Post by cBello »

I have unplugged and re-plugged the antenna several times. It does appear to be seated in the connector. The actual USB part gets very warm while capturing data. I wasn't sure if this is normal or not.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds like there is something wrong with that one. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread, we can ship you a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”