Bluefruit EZ-Oopsie

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sparkle

Bluefruit EZ-Oopsie

Post by sparkle »

Hi,

What would be the possible effect of shorting the DTR pin to Vin on my Bluefruit EZ-Link?

I can connect to it and pass the loopback test, but I can't get the DTR/DSR test working. I'm not sure if I've damaged it or not as I was setting up that test for the first time when I got the pins wrong.

Thanks
:(

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Oopsie

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Shorting DTR to Vin should not cause a problem.
Are you using a Mac? The DTR/DSR test doesn't seem to work on Macs.

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

I'm using X-CTU and have tried both Windows 8 with an external USB adapter and Windows 7 with an internal adaper. As far as I can tell changing DTR on the PC has no effect at all with or without link between DTR/DSR. I've also tried measuring it with a multimeter and the signal never moves. I presume this means the reset from the Arduino IDE wont work?

adafruit_support_rick

Have you actually tried it with the IDE? The DTR/DSR testing thing can be a little iffy sometimes.

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Heya,

I've hooked it all up to an Arduino UNO R3 with the reset cap etc as per the tutorial. Uploading a sketch from the IDE does not work by itself:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
After the Bluetooth connection comes up the TX light on the EZ-LINK flashes a couple of times then it sits until the error above appears. The Arduino carries on executing whatever it was doing before. If I start the upload then manually hit the reset button on the Arduino as the Bluetooth connection comes on, I can often get the sketch to upload and execute fine. I guess this means the general transmit/receive of data is working OK, but the reset is not being sent through.

I don't seem to be able to talk with the Arduino via the Serial Monitor though, perhaps I'm just misunderstanding how I should do that. I can see the TX and RX lights on the EZ-LINK flashing when I expect but nothing displays on the monitor. The same sketch connected via USB cable works as expected.

Thanks for all your help!

adafruit_support_rick

Hmm. Let's replace the EZ-Link. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement .

Not sure why your sketch isn't working with the EZ-LInk. See if you still have the problem with the replacement...

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Done, thank's for your time rick :)

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Just wanted to follow up on this one and say thanks for the replacement, it is working great and passes all tests.

adafruit_support_rick

Great! Thanks for the update! :-)

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Actually one thing I notice on the old one that does not work correctly is that the IC directly above the 3V pin gets extremely hot, not nice to touch. Possible short there somewhere?

adafruit_support_rick

That would be the voltage regulator. There's probably a short someplace.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”