TPA2016

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
arjunmenon

TPA2016

Post by arjunmenon »

Hi
In the blog you mentioned,
You also have to connect the I2C VCC pin to your logic voltage level. If you're using a 3V microcontroller, connect it to 3V. If you're using a 5V microcontroller, connect it to 5V. This is so you can have 5V powering the amplifier but 3V to keep the levels happy for your lower voltage micro.
Whats wid the first sentence.
Whats with the micro voltage about.
If I require it to be built like a pro, what can be done to built this widout the huge arduino board but wid all the configs.

How will you explain to someone the diff b/w 2.8W and 20W.

Can it be powered and played just like the MAX9744 amp,i.e., in analog mode. no config. plug-and-play.

Are its designs, Schematic and PCB, open source?Can I get it.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: TPA2016

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

If you're not using a microcontroller to control the amplifier, then you can ignore I2C VCC, SDA, and SCL. It will default to 6dB gain on power up.

The schematic and board layout are on the tutorial Downloads page
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tpa ... /downloads

arjunmenon

Post by arjunmenon »

Hi
The PCB layout on the download page is an image file. I was looking for something similar to your MAX9744 files which are on github.

Thanks.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I'll see if I can get those posted.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

arjunmenon

Post by arjunmenon »

Appreciate it!

arjunmenon

Post by arjunmenon »

Hi
Couple of things.

1. In the schematic, what is the two circuits, wch have FB1 and FB2, below the IC. Also, wch pin are they connected to.
2. What is the value of FB1 and FB2.
3. There are couple of speakers in the market with power of 3W, is it something comparable to that. I know I am asking for a subjective opinion still I would like to know from you and before ordering. Will its sound fill the room.

Thanks.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

FB1 and FB2 are ferrite beads and don't have a value. They are not "connected" to anything, the wire just runs through them for filtering. As to filling the room could you define your "room"? 2.8 watts is enough to hear in a normal living room depending on the efficiency of the speakers.

arjunmenon

Post by arjunmenon »

Hi
So if I am to buy ferrite beads from markets, what exact specs am I suppose to refer for the design. Which type or size or value have you used in the PCB.

The room which I referred to is the same speaker companies refer to. I myself am not sure the power of amps, how diff watts sounds. Need to study more. So i just asked generally to get an idea to learn more.

Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

arjunmenon wrote:So if I am to buy ferrite beads from markets, what exact specs am I suppose to refer for the design. Which type or size or value have you used in the PCB.
The ferrites are used for noise suppression on the wiring, which makes them roughly like decoupling capacitors: any value will help, bigger is better, but there's a point of diminishing returns.

The noise the ferrites suppress comes from signal reflections in the wiring due to impedance mismatches between the signal source and the amplifier. The exact frequency depends on the length, kind, and impedance of the cable, and the impedance of the signal source. It's usually higher than 10MHz though.

The value of the ferrite determines its impedance at high frequencies and is a function of frequency.. higher frequency, more impedance. The exact amount doesn't matter as long as it's large relative to the impedance of the signal source.

Most signal sources have an impedance less than 50 ohms, and if you're using something that can drive a speaker in its own right, the impedance will be less than 10 ohms. Compared to that, almost any value is 'large', so practically any impedance value will work.

If you want a specific number, use 1uH.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”