Overheating TS2012 Calss D amplifier

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mgale

Overheating TS2012 Calss D amplifier

Post by mgale »

I just purchased a Stereo 2.8W Class D Audio Amplifier - TS2012 and a Bone Conductor Transducer with Wires - 8 Ohm 1 Watt on june 8th. I have a very simple setup, a 3.7V 80mAh lipoly battery and the bone transducer for output. My problem is that the amplifier overheats and shuts off in a matter of seconds after powering it on. I also tried 4.5V in alkaline batteries with the same issue. Any ideas?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Overheating TS2012 Calss D amplifier

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo of your hardware and we'll see if that gives us any clues.

mgale

Post by mgale »

Setup & battery. JST 2-pin connectors soldered. I tried all gain options with the same result.
Attachments
IMG_20140620_160235.jpg
IMG_20140620_160235.jpg (861.1 KiB) Viewed 636 times
IMG_20140620_160323.jpg
IMG_20140620_160323.jpg (723.26 KiB) Viewed 636 times

adafruit_support_mike

I can't quite tell from the photos, but have you potted the pin header joints and wires into the transducer with hot-melt?

mgale

Post by mgale »

Everything is soldered. Hot glue is just there to keep the cables from coming off when tugged.

adafruit_support_mike

Strain relief.. okay.

Overheating is usually a sign of reversed power connections or a short circuit somewhere. Try disconnecting everything but the amp's power and see if it still overheats after you've plugged it in.

Also, could I see a shot of the underside of the board showing the solder joints please?

mgale

Post by mgale »

I've been out of town, cannot post any more pictures of it. Last I did was remove everything and tried simply powering it up in a breadboard. It burnt my finger when I touched it 1 second after powering it up.

adafruit_support_mike

That sounds like some kind of short inside the chip.

Since we haven't isolated a reason for the failure, I can authorize a one-time replacement just in case it was some kind of production failure. If the second one fails in the same way, we won't be able to replace it again.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a new amp.

taylorhokanson

Post by taylorhokanson »

amp.jpg
amp.jpg (62.68 KiB) Viewed 471 times
I just hooked up a TS2012 to a bone conduction transducer just like the original poster on this thread. I too am having problems with overheating, even after I disconnect everything except for a 5VDC power supply. Any tips, or should I request a replacement?

adafruit_support_mike

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in your assembly.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a replacement.

(#1552)

ikepsycho

Post by ikepsycho »

I bought 2 of the ST2012 and when I connect it up both over heat and draining the battery. Only when the audio input is connected and audio playing will the IC overheat. This is what I've tried:

3.7v battery connected, bone conductor transducer connected, audio in not connected--- no overheat

3.7v battery connected, bone conductor transducer connected, audio in connected but audio is not playing--- no overheat

3.7v battery connected, bone conductor transducer not connected, audio in connected and playing--- overheat within seconds

3.7v battery connected, bone conductor transducer connected, audio in connected and playing--- overheat within seconds

This is the 2nd time I ordered this board. The first one works great, doesn't heat up at all. But this electrical engineer shorted the power and blew the IC. So I ordered 2 more and both overheats. I think it's a batch issue.

adafruit_support_mike

It's an issue we're tracking.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will arrange a refund. We aren't doing replacements until we've worked out exactly what's happening.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”