product ID 613, triggering remotely

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gfotakis

product ID 613, triggering remotely

Post by gfotakis »

I want to use the product 613 (Weatherproof TTL Serial JPEG Camera with NTSC Video and IR LEDs) and I want to know if I can trigger the camera to either take a snap shot or a video remotely. I see it has 5 wires in the cable. Can you identify what each of the wires is for. Are any of those wires for remote triggering? If I want to use a circuit to trigger the camera what kind of signal do I need to provide for the trigger. Is it just a switch closure like most of the other cameras? Is there a minimum time that the signal should be present for the camera to trigger? Is there any information anywhere that would provide all this information?
Thank you

Franklin97355

Re: product ID 613, triggering remotely

Post by Franklin97355 »

There is a tutorial on using the camera here https://learn.adafruit.com/ttl-serial-c ... the-camera and the rest of the information is here https://www.adafruit.com/product/613 The datasheet is mostly non-english so I don't know how much it will help. The five wires seem to be +5, gnd, tx, rx, leds.

gfotakis

Post by gfotakis »

I thank you very much for the reply, it was very helpful. One thing that I was looking for and I didn't find it was the operational temperatures. In other words will the camera operate at +125 degrees F or -25 degrees F. This is important to know because the environment the camera will be used will be very hot. Looking at the camera specs it didn't mention any information on the operational temperature.

Thank you
George Fotakis

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Most consumer electronics are rated for a temperature range of -25C to 85C (-15F to 185F), but if you plan to use battery power you'll be limited by those. Most batteries are only rated for the range from 0F to 130F.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

[Moved topic to Other Adafruit Products]

gfotakis

Post by gfotakis »

Thanks again.
The battery we are using is rated at -40C to +60C so it exceeds the operarional temperature requirement, but because I didn't get a straight answer for the camera's temperature requirement, if I read between lines, the camera will work from -25C to 85C. Is this is correct? Has the camera been tested at these temperatures or any temperature?
Just for your information we are planning to subject the camera in a hot chamber at +125F and see how it performs. As soon as I have the results I will post the findings
Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't have a datasheet that lists a temperature range, so all we can do is extrapolate from standard ranges. -25C to 85C is the narrowest range for standard components, so that's probably a safe guess.

gfotakis

Post by gfotakis »

As I had mentioned in my previous post we tested the camera at -25F and it worked without any issues and we also tested at hot, 125F, 140F and 150F. It worked fine at all temperatures. The camera was soaked for 4 hours at 125, it was left over night in the chamber at 140 and tested it the next morning and then soaked at 150 for 4 hours, continuing from the 140 setting, and after 4 hours at 150 it was tested again without any issues.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for posting your findings!

Leona

Post by Leona »

The operational temperature range is -20 to 85 C.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”