Fingerprint scanner on my raspberry pi

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alex1602

Fingerprint scanner on my raspberry pi

Post by alex1602 »

Hello all,

I am working on a little project of my own, the DOOR project :)
I have ordered the adafruit optical fingerprint scanner and I noticed the voltage difference. So i bought a level switcher as well.
But i do have a 2 amp 12v adapter which I am going to use with a 78S05. And now my question could the scanner be hurt because of the high amps?

Gr

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Fingerprint scanner on my raspberry pi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The scanner will only draw as many amps as it needs.

alex1602

Post by alex1602 »

Ah oke thanks and is it needed to use a level swifter between the raspberry and the scanner because I don't get a signal back from it.

I use the fourchannel bidirectional level swifter from you guys between the two.

i connected the green wire to the tx of the raspberry and the white one to the rx, the power wires are connected to a external 5v power source and the level swifter is connected to the raspberries 3.3v power and the hv side to the external power suply. The scanner does work because the arduino can read from it.

adafruit_support_rick

I think you need to swap the green and white wires. Green should go to Pi RX and white to Pi TX

alex1602

Post by alex1602 »

Ah oke thanks I will give it a try when i get home

bkoffler

Post by bkoffler »

I would like to join this discussion. I am working on a similar project where i am going to use the fingerprint scanner as a piece of an access control system. For arguments sake, let's assume that i have purchased three of these scanners and hooked them up to their own Pis.

Is there a way to essentially enroll all users on one of the devices and then update the others so that they will be able to recognize the same finger as if it were enrolled directly on it?

Having to enroll through the windows software is not ideal - but if one enrollment can handle multiple devices in remote areas that would be workable..

alex1602

Post by alex1602 »

Well there is a way to get the image (hash) and save it inside them but for all i know only the windows app support downloading the image without any good documentation

adafruit_support_rick

Theoretically, I think you can do it. It involves downloading the templates from the enrolling scanner, and then uploading them to the other scanners. I've never done it, so I don't know if it actually works.

bkoffler

Post by bkoffler »

How would you suggest i begin thinking about that? How does one download or upload the templates? I will happily try this out..just need a push in the right direction!

adafruit_support_rick

Have a look at the Arduino library - it has a function for downloading the templates. The function for uploading will be similar. You'll have to review the user manual for the fingerprint sensor for details
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-opt ... /downloads

duste83

Post by duste83 »

I am working on writing the library in python for the fingerprint sensor on the raspberry pi. It is a slow process. How far have you made it?

duste83

Post by duste83 »

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49563

Here is a link to the python programming to communicate with the fingerprint sensor on this forum.

duste83

Post by duste83 »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”