FONA serial pass-through at CBAND

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tinkeringtech

FONA serial pass-through at CBAND

Post by tinkeringtech »

Hello,
I wanted to confirm that the "create Serial passthru tunnel" feature on the FONA allows you to directly enter AT cmds to the SimCom module. Correct?

I tried to type AT in this mode and I got an "OK" which tells me that the module responded. However, I tried to get the Band that the module is tuned to by typing AT+CBAND? but got an "error". I got this command from the SimCOM command manual.

Thanks.
LJ

Franklin97355

Re: FONA serial pass-through at CBAND

Post by Franklin97355 »

Here is the document on AT commands http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/sim8 ... _v1.01.pdf

tinkeringtech

Post by tinkeringtech »

franklin97355 wrote:Here is the document on AT commands http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/sim8 ... _v1.01.pdf
Yes, that is the document that I was referring to in my earlier post where I was getting the AT+CBAND? command. I was asking why this did not work when using the serial passthru tunnel.

rogert

Post by rogert »

I'm getting the same issues using passthrough with the sample app, which is odd since the passthrough code in the example looks pretty simple (except I see there's no way to break out of it without resetting Arduino).

If you send ATE1 to echo back the command, I have only ever gotten back the first 3 characters.

Only ATI really works.

Also, ATE0 doesn't return the mode to non-echo.

I guess I'll need to order a USB serial cable to verify it's not the module.

(Separately, I got a Telna SIM and while their web UI shows messages back & forth between my cell and the FONA, I have only received/read 2 messages on the FONA and my AT&T iPhone has received none of the messages. Oddly, I saw a reply from Twitter's autoresponder... suggesting they got the message... so I was trying to use the AT commands to debug and check whether my SIM was properly provisioned before calling Telna when I found this problem)

rogert

Post by rogert »

Ah no need for a USB cable. The issue with the "tube" serial passthrough is apparently a common issue with mixing Arduino hardware serial and software serial like the passthrough code does. Apparently with greatly different baud rates you can have problems like the first 3 characters only being read.

Once I changed the baud rate in the FONAtest code (line 40) to 9600, and uploaded that to my Uno, everything was much better.

Serial.begin(9600);

Hope this works for others!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”