New BlueFruit EZ-Link not found in BT scan

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hoopsnake

New BlueFruit EZ-Link not found in BT scan

Post by hoopsnake »

Hi Adafruit Support: I just bought a Bluefruit EZ-Link and hooked it up according to the straightforward-looking "Introducing Bluefruit EZ-Link" article in the Learn section. Powered it via an Arduino Ethernet via the 6 pin "FTDI", so it gets 5.0V in. It powers up, and I do get the 3.3V output from its onboard regulator. The Red LED blinks its .5Hz blink. But when I scan for it as suggested in the article via Devices and Printers/Bluetooth/Add a Device, (on a Dell Precision laptop w/ Windows7) the search goes on forever instead of ending within 30 seconds and finding the EZ-Link. My BT device on the laptop is an Adafruit BT 4.0 USB Module (Product ID 1327) that I purchased with my Bluefruit. My laptop sees the USB Module but never finds the Bluefruit. The USB module is working fine. If I do the same scan with my Samsung Android Phone with BT enabled and discoverable, the laptop immediately sees it and offers to pair. Same for doing the reverse: if I make my laptop discoverable and do a BT device scan from my Android phone, the Android immediately sees my laptop and offers to pair, but similarly NEVER sees the Bluefruit. So I am stuck without the ability to ever pair to my computer.

I have checked all the obvious stuff. I have continuity (without shorts) for my cable (which is only 4" long). Voltages on both Arduino and Bluefruit look good. I tried powering up from my lab supply instead of the Arduino. I tried the usual permutations of device power-up order (although the article says specifically to power up the Bluefruit first. I've attached pix of the wiring so you can see it is correct (and in any event at this point it should simply be a matter of powering the Bluefruit -- this problem is "upstream" from any issue of connectivity with the Arduino serial port). And yes, I've done all my work on a static mat, wearing a strap and using a grounded iron.

So...dead device? Just doing something dumb I can't see? Thanks for any suggestions.
Attachments
20140712_140603.JPG
20140712_140603.JPG (801.38 KiB) Viewed 443 times
20140712_140324.JPG
20140712_140324.JPG (742.4 KiB) Viewed 443 times
20140712_140308.JPG
20140712_140308.JPG (756.56 KiB) Viewed 443 times

Franklin97355

Re: New BlueFruit EZ-Link not found in BT scan

Post by Franklin97355 »

It looks like you may have your TX and RX lines swapped. TX on one device needs to go to RX on the other.

hoopsnake

Post by hoopsnake »

Hi Franklin; Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean. This board is designed to be pin for pin compatible with the FTDI header so you could just solder it to a header and plug it into the Arduino (see their doc). The cable (if you look closely its just wired straight through) is just for length. The Arduino's pinout is 1 GND, 2 no connect, 3 5V 4 RX 5 TX 6 Reset. So Pin 4 (TX on this device) goes to RX on the Arduino and vice/versa. Thanks, Hoops.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You are right the Arduino swapped the RX and TX lines in their connection.

hoopsnake

Post by hoopsnake »

How soon is now?
Last edited by hoopsnake on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Sorry, this one apparently fell off the radar.

If the EZ-Link isn't visible to any other BT device, it sounds like a problem with the module. Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a replacement.

hoopsnake

Post by hoopsnake »

Thanks Mike! Done.

hoopsnake

Post by hoopsnake »

Hi Mike,

Just a follow up; I got my replacement yesterday, hooked it up today just like I had the other one, and it immediately showed up in Devices and Printers Bluetooth-land and accepted a pairing.

Loaded up the Arduino IDE, saw my new comm port (9), pulled up a sketch and hit upload. Many blinky lights, and 13K of sketch zipped right over. Smiling the Big Smile.

So it does look like my first one was indeed bad; this one performs beautifully with the same setup. GREAT TOOL!!!

So thanks -- well done, Adafruit!

hoopsnake

Post by hoopsnake »

My only complaint about the EZ-Link now is that they should swap the blue LEDs out for nice easy on the eyes green ones so when it's transferring data it's more Christmas, less Cop Car. :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”