TS2012 Amp Shorted

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
greenhorn

TS2012 Amp Shorted

Post by greenhorn »

Hello,

Today I received my adafruit Stereo 2.8W Class D Audio Amplifier - TS2012[ID:1552] amp and encountered issues after assembling and testing. While playing music through a 6ohm speaker the amp quit. I disconnected power and metered connections and found a short between ground and vdd. I also found connectivity between speaker output terminals.

Before assembling I did the following:
1. Watched the assembly tutorials on this site.
2. Metered all connections before applying power and found no shorts.

I ran power from a 9v through a 5v low dropout voltage regulator. Before applying power I metered power and it was a steady 5v. When the music quit I found that the 5v regulator was heating up which typically means there is a short. I disconnected all connections and verified a short between ground and vcc. Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

My order number is 553987-8217193523. Thank you!

Franklin97355

Re: TS2012 Amp Shorted

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear pictures of your board showing the soldering and the connections to it?

greenhorn

Post by greenhorn »

I desoldered the connections one by one to troubleshoot and find the source of the short. The only components still on the board are the supplied screw top speaker output terminals. I can post a picture of that if you'd like. Otherwise I can describe how I made the connections.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Do post a photo please. Even if the hardware looks perfect, we like to confirm that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”