Powerboost 500 + Charger - LBO

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xerof

Powerboost 500 + Charger - LBO

Post by xerof »

Hi,

I've purchased the Powerboost 500 + Charger. I was hoping to provide the LBO to the arduino Digital pin so I can keep my eye on it. I also have a switch connected between EN + GND to turn it on/off. When the connection is made between EN + GND, the power isn't supplied (as expected) BUT - the LOW red light is illuminated on the Powerboost board! As soon as the EN + GND connection is broke (Turned on) the LOW red light disappears.

Could anybody please let me know what I'm doing wrong here? I'm guessing the red light turned on isn't a good sign!

Powerboost (GND + 5V ---> Arduino Micro GND + VIN)
Powerboost (LBO ---> Arduino Micro PIN 12)

Do I need a resistor some where between the LBO and digital pin?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Powerboost 500 + Charger - LBO

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Do you have a battery attached? Is it charged?

xerof

Post by xerof »

Hi,

Battery connected. Even with USB attached it will light up (but no charge light because it's not actually low)

adafruit_support_rick

Which ground are you shorting to? The one on the powerboost? If not, try that and see what happens

xerof

Post by xerof »

Hi Rick. I'll try draw a fritz tomorrow morning. Here's it in writing

The GND in between EN and BAT goes to a switch. The EN goes to the switch.

The 5V goes to the arduino micro VIN plug. The GND next to the 5V goes to the arduino GND. The LBO goes to a Ardunio digital pin.

Connecting just the powerboost to a breadboard, connecting EN to GND - if you pass the 5V or GND to LBO - the red LOW light illuminates. When the arduino isn't powered, power floats through the board causing it to float through the digital pin and back to the LBO

xerof

Post by xerof »

Good Morning,

I've created a quick fritz to try and explain better. I've had to use header pins in replace of the PowerBoost board (The Adafruit Fritz library seems to be missing the part) - Also, the 3.7V Battery is connected (3.8V is the current charge - so not LOW battery yet) with NO USB connected.

Header Pins
D63 EN --> TO SWITCH
D62 GND --> TO SWITCH
D61 LBO --> Arduino Digital PIN
D60 GND --> Arduino GND PIN
D59 5V --> Arduino VIN PIN

Switch is in the position to connect EN to GND which turns off the supply to the 5V (Which also turns off the BLUE LED PWR).

All the below assume the battery is fully charged.

USB Disconnected / Battery Connected / EN + GND Connected (WRONG)
Expected: No lights illuminated.
Actual: RED LOW LED illuminated.

Battery Connected / EN + GND Disconnected (OK) - (Results for USB Connected/Disconnected)
Expected: BLUE PWR LED illuminated.
Actual: BLUE PWR LED illuminated.

Battery Disconnected / EN + GND Connected / USB Connected
Expected: USB LED illuminated. CHRG LED illuminated. LOW LED illuminated.
Actual: USB LED illuminated. CHRG LED illuminated. LOW LED illuminated.

It seems that even if you are to pass a GND to the LBO - the RED LED illuminates no matter the switch position (EN + GND OR EN + BATT (even though my switch doesn't use EN + BATT))

The Arduino resistance between the GND PIN & Digital Pin is 126k
The Arduino resistance between the VIN PIN & Digital Pin is 146k

How much current would that RED LED pull if I was to ignore it and it'd stay illuminated all the time? It's going to be inside a box so won't ever be seen. I just don't want it to drain within a couple of days, come to use it and realise it needs charging up :(

Fritz
Fritz
hmmm2_bb.png (235.03 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

adafruit_support_rick

A fully-charged LiPo is more like 4.4V. 3.8V may be around the low-battery threshold, and that's why the LED is coming on. I'll check on this - meanwhile, try charging your battery some more.

xerof

Post by xerof »

Hi Rick,

Plugging the USB in while the battery is connected, the charge light doesn't flash at all. Also the LBO is HIGH which tells me the battery isn't a low voltage. The specifications of this say that 3.2V is considered Low voltage.

adafruit_support_rick

Let's try replacing it. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement PowerBoost 500 charger

xerof

Post by xerof »

Hi Rick,

Thanks. I've sent an email. Is the Power boost safe to use while this is happening?

I assume that the consumption from the LED is little, and wouldn't have much effect on the battery? (I.E It wouldn't drain the battery within a few hours / days) - For reference, the battery I'm using is: https://www.adafruit.com/products/258

adafruit_support_rick

Can;'t say if it's safe or not. I don't know what's going on with it.

xerof

Post by xerof »

I have some good news, and I have some bad news.

Good news: The new part arrived today.
Bad news: I've just got home, tried it quickly using the exact same layout above and the red light is still there.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

i think its just a side effect of how you're setting stuff up and also possibly some current leakage. what happens when you disconnect the LBO pin from your arduino? are you positive that the LBO pin is not driving the output, it must be an INPUT type with no pullups...?

xerof

Post by xerof »

When the LBO is disconnected - the light will disappear. Because the Arduino isn't powered up ( It's enclosed in a project case, the idea was that a button was to turn on the Powerboost to power everything and then turn off when not in use - but then the LBO is connected to the Arduino so the Arduino can alert me when the battery is low ) it must leak GND ? Connecting LBO directly to GND makes the light come on also.

I didn't want to connect the power switch on the battery side, because I'd really like to charge the battery while the device is off.

I guess I'll just have to live with the red LED being on when the unit isn't in use. What's the approx draw from this LED? I'd hate to come to use the unit and the battery be dead due to the LED.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

the red LED is maybe like 3-5mA. Basically it sounds like there's some current leak loop that is causing the pin to drive low. i cant think of how to fix it for your situation off the top of my head, sorry!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”