teensy and pi

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pandadesh

teensy and pi

Post by pandadesh »

how do i make them play with each other? i programmed it in windows but it doesn't work. is there some sort of tool to program it? plz help me i been banging my head for the past 3 days(literally)
plz give me the code or a link with code as that wud be super helpful. i want to attach 4 analog inputs and 16 digital inputs to my pi. if u can suggest something else for the interface then plz do. i want to make a portable device.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: teensy and pi

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Do you want to program the teensy from your RasPi, or just pass signals between them?

pandadesh

Post by pandadesh »

just pass signals so that i can use it as a joystick with the pi

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

IIRC, the Teensy can be programmed to be a keyboard + mouse + joystick (set the appropriate type in USB type in the menu). Plug in the Teensy to a USB port on the Pi. It is likely the Pi doesn't provide enough power to run the Teensy, so you will need to cut the trace between Vusb and Vin, and power the Teensy separately. Here is information about using the Teensy as a joystick: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_joystick.html

If you need 2 way communications, I believe you can hook up the i2c pins on the Pi to the Teensy and use i2c to communicate back and forth.

pandadesh

Post by pandadesh »

michaelmeissner wrote:IIRC, the Teensy can be programmed to be a keyboard + mouse + joystick (set the appropriate type in USB type in the menu). Plug in the Teensy to a USB port on the Pi. It is likely the Pi doesn't provide enough power to run the Teensy, so you will need to cut the trace between Vusb and Vin, and power the Teensy separately. Here is information about using the Teensy as a joystick: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_joystick.html

If you need 2 way communications, I believe you can hook up the i2c pins on the Pi to the Teensy and use i2c to communicate back and forth.
i never thought that it wasn't getting enough power. the led lights up though which means it does have power

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

I don't recall how much current a pi can deliver over USB. You would need to do some spec sheet diving to determine whether the pi can deliver enough current for the Teensy, particularly if you hook high power devices to the Teensy (servos, neopixels, etc.). Hey, if it can deliver enough power to the teensy, great, it simplifies things.

pandadesh

Post by pandadesh »

michaelmeissner wrote:I don't recall how much current a pi can deliver over USB. You would need to do some spec sheet diving to determine whether the pi can deliver enough current for the Teensy, particularly if you hook high power devices to the Teensy (servos, neopixels, etc.). Hey, if it can deliver enough power to the teensy, great, it simplifies things.
a usb port on the pi gives 170ma what i recall. i have 16 digital inputs and 4 analog input for a joystick i guess i will have to see how much power it consumes
but will i have to do any other tweaking with software? i want to know that

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”