Oven control pad hack

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
timflood04

Oven control pad hack

Post by timflood04 »

Hi everyone,

So, my girlfriend bought a house with a bad oven. The oven works fine, but has a design flaw that causes the control pad membrane to melt and so it's inoperable. I'm trying to find a way to fix it without buying a new oven or control panel (a $200 part). I'm looking at two of these: https://www.adafruit.com/products/419 3x4 keypad. I've been doing some experimenting with a button and a breadboard, aided by the service manual I found online that lists the pin schedule for the different buttons, see below.

My question is, this keypad has 12 buttons but only 7 pins. Do you guys think this product would work for my application, and if so, can you offer any suggestions about setting it up?

The key pad has 22 buttons which attached with two ribbon cables, but I'm thinking I'll remove the ports and install headers instead. Some pins were not used, but here's the schedule:

Button Pins
1 13 & 5
2 12 & 13
3 12 & 15
4 4 & 11
5 4 & 12
6 4 & 10
7 5 & 11
8 5 & 13
9 5 & 10
0 5 & 12
Cancel 1 & 3
Clock 7 & 13
Cook & Hold 11 & 13
Broil 11 & 12
Bake 10 & 11
Convect Bake 11 & 15
Convect Roast 5 & 7
Clean 4 & 13
Keep Warm 7 & 11
Favorite 4 & 5
Timer 4 & 7
Oven Light 10 & 12

Thanks!
Tim

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Oven control pad hack

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We pretty much avoid projects that have serious safety implications. We don't want to find out that bad advice on our part ended up burning down someone's house or something.

If it's really a design flaw, check to see if the vendor/manufacturer offers some kind of fix. That would be the best possible option.

Failing that, check with a licensed electrician or someone qualified to do appliance repair in your area. Even if the technology works, there might be laws in your jurisdiction that you don't know about. It's a lot easier to be confident when you have someone experienced backing you up.

timflood04

Post by timflood04 »

Good point. I think maybe this isn't the project for me after all. :)

Tim

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yeah, most fields of engineering are kind of like martial arts that way: the greatest skill is knowing when *not* to do it.

A general best practice is to ask yourself, "what's a reasonable worst case scenario if this fails?" If the answer includes death or significant property damage, take it to a qualified professional. The bill hurts less when you compare it to the cost of a DIY job going wrong.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”